"God, The Rod, and Your Child's Bod" is somehow worse than it sounds

Originally published at: "God, The Rod, and Your Child's Bod" is somehow worse than it sounds | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Xtianists have been pushing these excuses to exercise their sadism since Dr. Spock challenged the corporal punishment regimes of households that follow the strict father model of parenting. In their view, children are chattel and thus may be beaten by their master.

20 Likes

‘Spankings for Jesus’ is either a punk band or something the new Speaker of the House really, really wants to Google but his son won’t let him.

13 Likes

God, Rod, Todd and Your Child’s Blo’d!

episode 8 fighting GIF

11 Likes

This reasonable, well informed review is by far the most shocking part of all of this.

11 Likes

I guess if you see the god of the Israelites as the father who is always punishing his children, then sure, the Bible condones spanking in some oblique way.

But then there’s Jesus, who takes the exact opposite stance.

The idea that “we love you, so we’re going to beat you up” doesn’t really stand up well.

[ETA: well, apparently I forgot the book of Deuteronomy 18:21-- disobedient children shall be stoned to death.]

2 Likes

“If you love me, beat my sheep.” - Jesus, probably

1 Like

Hmmm, I seem to recall something about causing little ones to stumble, millstones around neck and swimming lessons. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that beating the hell out of a kid might just “cause them to stumble.” IOW, unfuck these asshats vigorously.

8 Likes

I raised my kids without resorting to spanking or other corporeal punishment. Neither turned into axe murderers.

Am I ever disappointed!

5 Likes

These Vorbises are probably from the sects who read stumble as sin, rather than lose faith.

1 Like

So we just have to wait for the turtle to smash his noggin? Cool, cool.

1 Like

Shocked Gravity Falls GIF

2 Likes

This was recently shared by a very good friend who is a minister:

9 Likes

Ya know… all it takes is for these gentlemen to spank the wrong person.

My co-worker had a ‘talk’ with his niece’s step-dad after a particularly savage belting (and worse)… “We went for a drive down the the floodway … he pissed himself in the truck on the way there, must have been something I said”.

Must have been. Dude moved out the next morning and never showed his face again.

5 Likes

I hope the niece is doing better and recovering from her trauma. :cry:

5 Likes

Sadly… mom replaced him with another asshole with a belt. She needed a drive to the floodway as well.

In grade 4 the head penguin/nun/principal at my school gave me a right thrashing with her Jesus strap… my mom showed up and ‘had words’ with her too… never touched me again after that.

Yet if you threaten someone regarding abusing your child, that can get the cops called on YOU… fucked up imbalance there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.