Christmas cooking plans?

We had Christmas last week on Wednesday afternoon. I’m pretty sure we had stollen and Indian tea.

4 Likes

Change of plans, my wife didn’t want us to eat too late, so we’re doing all of this tomorrow (Saturday) so we’re not pressed for time before seeing Star Wars this afternoon.

Today. we’re instead going to make brunchy stuff for a nice lunch - I think it’ll be scones, fancy oatmeal, and shakshuka (eggs baked in a spicy tomato sauce)

4 Likes

I really need to get a new meat thermometer.

I can’t cook stuff in the oven to save my life. Always comes out underdone.

The roast potatoes were good, though.

4 Likes

Flexibilility ilillity is key.

They are in the oven at 375F, in individual ramekins no less. I was worried about overcooking the cheese topping since our oven temperature is so temperamental and uneven, so I’m going to add it after they’re partly done and swap them to a lower shelf.

1 Like

You can do that , but it’s not necessary. Assuming that you are using a semi-hard cheese like Asiago, somehow the potatoes and cheese cook together and the cheese only gets brown right at the end when they are done. The oily/buttery film in between each layer must assist with that process. I did them again and did not put the cheese on later… everything was good and brown and crusty on top, like a French Onion soup with the browned Gruyere on top.

This topic was automatically closed after 421 days. New replies are no longer allowed.