Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster denied legal recognition in Australia

O/T but too good not to share: I heard an interview with the authors of that book back when it came out. One of them said he’d asked Stewart what she thought of it and her response was, “I could have done it better.”

4 Likes

I’ll respectfully remove my colander helmet and let folk know that the capital of South Australia, Adelaide, is known as the ‘city of churches’… Also the state has had one of the most notorious serial killings where the victims were found in plastic barrels - perhaps to prevent rigatoni-mortus… obvious connections if you ask me!

2 Likes

Is there some reason it shouldn’t be?

That’s a big complicated question.

Basically the organization the Church of Scientology is a big scam, and the religious part is just window dressing.

There are all sorts of problems with definitions of what a religion is, and how most definitions fail as definitions because they unable to exclude anything.

There are problems with stuff that the High Court based its decision on, which later turned out to be untrue.

In the end, it’s all about taxes, and why do we give religious organizations a free ride. (And that’s a question that the established groups don’t want examined.)

5 Likes

I think it safe to presume said committee is made up of believing Christians.

Having any government agency determine what is and is not a religion is just too precious as they become the gatekeepers for the government benefits, tangible and otherwise, that result from being “recognized”.

So the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has failed.

Time to send in the Church of Satan… (which has done wonderful work here in the USA)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.