Church under investigation after worshiper pinned down to ‘pray the gay away’

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/19/church-goers-tackled-a-worship.html

1 Like

55 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Religion is a lie

I don’t think the First Assembly of God uses a crucifix…just sayin’

4 Likes

First:

That’s ASSAULT.

Next:

34 Likes

That is, in the immortal words of my mother, one hell of a shit-eating grin.

10 Likes

I dunno; his teeth look too clean.

:wink:

8 Likes

When they pray the gays away, I go outside and catch the Gays with my butterfly net, and then just put them back where they came from.

32 Likes

picked me up, and slammed me into corner with force, anger, and love

That ain’t “love,” son. You’ve been brainwashed something awful. Emphasis on “awful.” (That the dude followed it up by delivering a black eye should have been a clue.)

The reasonable response here, after filing the police report, is to disown your family and never talk to any of those fuckers ever again.

31 Likes

Or maybe try educating your family about what it really means to be homosexual. Running away is an easier solution for you, but leaves a big problem behind.

I think this family has crossed the line into domestic violence. Running away is a reasonable choice, although it looks like the victims sister who tried to defend him may also be in danger.

30 Likes

his fellow church-goers tackled him, pinned him down, punched him in the face, and tried to ‘pray the gay away,’

It’s clear which of the following is worshiped in this church.

25 Likes

It’s not the job of those being attacked to put themselves in danger to “educate” those that would do them harm.

It’s the job of the rest of us to call out that harm, to let the perpetrators know it’s not acceptable, and to defend those they target.

37 Likes

Don’t be hasty…let’s not forget kidnapping and/or false imprisonment.

21 Likes

Are you going to go personally visit the family in question? Somehow I doubt they would listen to me.

1 Like
4 Likes

If your family is abusive, you don’t owe them anything. Especially not more chances to abuse you when you try to teach them compassion.

27 Likes

And they have a better chance of listening to someone they respect so little they feel justified in abusing?

14 Likes

i hope me moves to a larger city just for his own safety, and then maybe later comes to terms with his religion somehow.

7 Likes

There are LGBTQ affirming churches in larger cities in Oklahoma.

https://www.gaychurch.org/find_a_church/list-churches-by-state/?loc=OK

14 Likes