Cigarette smoker appears surprised to be arrested

I honestly think the drunk lady was handing him her cigarette. I might be wrong but that’s how it looked to me. In any case, failure to immediately comply should not result in abuse of the citizenry. The cop used much more force than was necessary. Ever see a white collar criminal get arrested. They don’t even lay their hands on people like that but they seems to have no problem roughing up your average citizen.

Where was the resisting? Was it before he dragged her out of her seat?

2 Likes

Watch again.

1 Like

she didn’t appear to be resisting arrest…she appeared to be belligerent and defiant. At least to my eyes.

4 Likes

I have many times. Please educate me.

1 Like

I completely agree. But that is definitely not what happened in the video.

Consider some other circumstances that may have contributed as well:

1. It’s an active stadium, so it’s probably pretty loud
  2. Many elderly folks have hearing damage, and if they have hearing aids might remove them when attending a stadium sport.
  3. Tons of people who have had a few drinks take more than a few seconds to properly follow orders.

This cop escalated the situation to a physical confrontation for no reason other than somebody not saying “how high?” when he said to jump.

4 Likes

I wish there existed a videogame in which players earn points for building cooperation, successful de-escalation of conflicts, and secure/constructive responses to (or ignoring) disrespectful communication.

7 Likes
1 Like

That’s some false dichotomizing right there. There is a whole panoply of options other than the two you’re considering: giving her a stern talking to versus dragging her over concrete by the wrist. For example, is he the only cop working the stadium? If not, get some backup.

5 Likes

It’s almost never an issue at this point. Sustainable transport, suitable for existing usage, is barely selling enough units to stay afloat. If the environmental cost of building them were ten times what it is, it’d still be a correct decision to buy one today.

Essentially if people hadn’t bought the Prius in 2001 (when every single mainstream talking head and pundit and more than a few “scientists” said it was a bad deal both economically and environmentally, and Chevron hired ad agencies to spread Prius battery FUD) we wouldn’t have hybrid cars available on the market today. Dollars are votes; every gallon of gas is a vote for human genocide, and every sustainable vehicle is a vote against structural racism. It’s all very intimately and visibly connected at the long term scale, just not on the daily scale.

Very much agree. That is kind of my whole point.

1 Like
4 Likes

Lets hope she was a blue lives matter type.

1 Like

Your math is way off. The carbon cost of building a new car is at least 6T CO2e, and can easily be three times that. That doesn’t even include other costs, such as the various metals involved, pollutants from mining/smelting, etc. My car produces about 3.6T/10K miles. The US power cost for an electric car would be about 2.1T/10K miles. So yes, it’s better, but I’d have to drive 40K miles to break even. Since I’m currently driving less than 5K/year, that takes us out to 2025. By then I quite likely won’t even need a car, especially since my daughter will be through both high school and college. If I did, the car I could get then would probably be a significant improvement over the one I could get now, plus the infrastructure’s likely to be better too. So no, it would not be a correct decision to make now even head to head, let alone at 10x as you claim. Your assumptions and generalizations are convenient, but incorrect.

Very much agree. That is kind of my whole point.

If you agree, then why were you the one initiating pointing fingers at others for their individual non-virtuous ways, and resisting suggestion that you should direct your ire at the system instead? Strange way to make a point.

2 Likes

You’re not getting my point. If nobody buys them nobody builds them, so they don’t get built more efficiently, and gas cars continue to be built instead. You have to buy them if you want your grandchildren to be able to breathe open air. It doesn’t matter what the build footprint is at this stage of the game. We need a critical mass of electric sustainable cars or the changes you say you want simply cannot happen - you and I personally have to invest instead of waiting for someone else to fix it.

I pointed pretty hard at myself, friend.

Haven’t done any such thing.

Just resisting the idea that either of us gets a pass on our behavior. Still doing so, in fact.

Public smoking is a very minor problem compared to driving gas cars.

1 Like

probably because of the color of her… shirt…

my god, that last clip is horrifying… there was a Police Academy 5!!!

4 Likes

Legalize pot, check.
Protest cops using excessive force, check.
Someone smoking a cigarette out in the open (or, at least, a very large space): serves her right, she’s basically murdering people, I’m sure she’s a Trump voter …
Liberty is for those who share my favourite set of lifestyle fads. Everybody else can just go fuck themselves.

2 Likes

If you think 5 is bad, check out Police Academy 6!

[Joking of course, all PA movies are classics in my book.]

2 Likes

it is all about immediate submission…!!

Those places where emissions harm the most people, I think we do have more transportation choices. It takes a dense place to get the combined concentration of emissions and people that cause the greatest harm per person. Those places do have transit, and also have short enough commuting distances that bicycles (and even walking) are often adequate for commuting. (For instance, where I live – one suburb out from Cambridge, 6-7 miles to work, perfectly bikeable.)

And in these places (e.g., New York City) lower income people are somewhat less likely to drive than the norm, and more likely to suffer the consequences of particulate pollution because the cheapest housing is often near dirty, noisy roads.

Those places where cars are mostly-necessary for getting to work, people and roads are more spread out, pollution is more diluted, and fewer people live near it. The harm is less there.