Cinnamon Toast Crunch spread will save us all

Originally published at: Cinnamon Toast Crunch spread will save us all | Boing Boing

4 Likes
14 Likes

In the before times when I traveled I would try to fly Delta. The cookies they serve captured my heart. A few years after I began flying fairly regularly I spotted this stuff on a local store shelf:

I never worked up the courage to buy it. I’m crippled with fear that it will either be nasty or addictive. Neither of which I need.

On topic, my all time favorite cereal is Reese’s Peanut Butter puffs. TIL it also comes as a spread (basically).

6 Likes

I’m a Peanut Butter to the core, nothing can persuade me to change. I might take a look at Whiskey flavored peanut butter, but just a peek.

3 Likes

The MBMBAM podcast does a regular segment called Munch Squad where they read out and riff on press releases from food companies. The structure of the releases is so formulaic, i couldn’t help but hear this in Justin McElroy’s voice. But thanks, Bake.com, for letting me know I’d used one of my 3 free articles this month reading your completely unedited pass-through of a GM press release.

1 Like

Every single news article on this is sourced from the same material. They all start “Move over, peanut butter…” It’s hysterical.

That said, if this is cinnamon flavored peanut butter, I might give it a try. I already love toast with cinnamon sugar, and toast with peanut butter, and toast with cinnamon flavored peanut butter could work for me. Maybe.

EDIT: it is not, in fact, peanut butter. Took me forever to find the ingredients.

4 Likes

I looked at the GM product page; it has no peanut butter in it. I won’t bother with it and will continue to use cinnamon honey or sprinkle cinnamon on whatever we use as a breakfast toast condiment, like
Sunbutter (The Missus is allergic to nuts).

4 Likes

Biscoff spread is good stuff, like Nutella with not even a whiff of pretension of health. Trader Joes has knockoff Biscoff cookies and they do a spread with those too, which is pretty much the same stuff.

2 Likes

I’m butting peanuts, right now!

6 Likes

Attempts at cinnamon mayochup were less successful.

3 Likes

It’s quite tasty.

6 Likes

For a moment I tought it was this guy:

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

10 Likes

My house already has a Nutella addiction. As in, we buy the dual-costco-sized tubs. For two people. I dare not try the Cinnamon toast crunch spread yet this trend continue. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

So they took a product that purported to be a breakfast cereal that tasted like toast… and adapted it to spread on toast?

“Yo dawg…”

8 Likes

Meh. Call me when there’s a Cookie Crisp spread.

2 Likes

I’m not entirely on board with grinding up baked goods and adding enough grease to turn them into a spread. Though I’m curious especially as more pop up if they all use waste/failed product, or dedicated product, or just ingredients designed to mimic said product or what.

2 Likes

I’ve been to a dozen websites, and it’s weird how all of them just repeat the ad copy verbatim, and no one will say what’s in it.

2 Likes

It is both, I am afraid.

2 Likes

I assumed this was overly sweet, peanut butter with cinnamon, but it’s not, is it? It’s just going to be sugar, starch, fat and cinnamon (flavoring), isn’t it? That’s… pretty gross.

I assumed they weren’t yet releasing that information (even sites selling it won’t say what’s in it)… but yes, now I see. Yikes, it’s worse than I thought, though weirdly simple - sugar, oil, milk, oil, cinnamon, soy lecithin, “flavors”… I assumed some flour, because they talk about a graham flavor, but apparently even that is just a flavoring.

I mean “cinnamon toast” is just toast with butter, cinnamon and sugar… which this is roughly simulating with much cheaper ingredients. So perverse.

Yeah, though they’re not even doing that here - it’s just oil and sugar used to simulate butter and sugar.

1 Like

Ahh, Biscoff spread.

9 Likes