City council candidate openly endorses racism

My folks live there. Great thing is the room she made the comment in…is named after a Syrian immigrant who not only owned the best bar in town, but served on the council for over forty years.

32 Likes

“Scary” has range. Don’t turn you back on big towns. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

What’s just as appalling to me as what she said is the ho-hum responses from the other white folks around her. It’s like something out of Lake Wobegon:

Incumbent Councilman Paul Wessel said anyone who can find their way to Marysville “should be allowed to live in Marysville.” Council candidate Mike Deising paused before adding, “Just checking the calendar here and making sure it’s still 2019.”

Well thanks for putting this racist woman in her place in no uncertain terms, Paul and Mike!

She gave voice to what some members of any lily-white town go around thinking but not saying, but then there’s the rest, who at least know what she said is retrograde and racist as fuck. And yet, as with most well-meaning white folks, standing up and directly saying so, to her face and otherwise, is just too dang hard, don’tcha know. Ugh.

23 Likes

Expanding on her earlier racist comments, she cited God’s creation of Adam & Eve as an argument against interracial marriage.

So… I guess she thinks non-white people aren’t descended from Adam & Eve or something?

25 Likes

Having attended Bible camp as a child small undercover agent, I’d bet she’s a member of a church whose leaders interpret religious texts to fit their biased worldview. They believe all of the “good” people were white, Jesus and his parents weren’t Jewish, people who weren’t related to the Biblical First Couple were of different races and therefore “bad,” etc.

Some have been taught that a different skin tone makes the “bad” ones easier to identify, too. Maybe that’s why they seem mystified after meeting people who don’t match the stereotypes they’ve learned. Their faces remind me of the puzzled expressions of confused androids in the Star Trek episode “I, Mudd”.

17 Likes

The interpretation of the Mark of Cain has been interpreted in a lot of christian theology to explain how black people came about.

“White is normal, right? so how did black people come about? Well, son, being black is a terrible curse and a punishment from god.”

Eurocentric christianity has been a racist institution for all of its history.

20 Likes

It’s pitiful that these people think their worth and superiority lies solely in the fact that their mamas spread their legs for white men. At least that once.

7 Likes

Hey! Next you’ll be asking where the wives of Cain, Able and Shemp came from.

12 Likes

5 Likes

Does she think Adam and Eve were white?!?

8 Likes

Yes.

And Jesus was also described as “an abnormally fair skinned Jew.” AKA, white.

6 Likes

Trying to resurrect the White Citizen’s Council apparently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens’_Councils

4 Likes

Does she think they actually existed, and aren’t a metaphor? (Sadly, I already know the answer…)

4 Likes

tucker

17 Likes

Well, open racism and xenophobia worked for Trump so why wouldn’t all of the other racists down the line follow his example and let it all hang out?

11 Likes

7 Likes

Is that the real Shemp, or just one of those knock-off brand Fake Shemps?

4 Likes

And the article just gets better.

One of the other candidates directly calls that racism out cause her dad was Syrian (and in that town council for decades, even named the hall after him). Racist lady doubles down with some bullshit about how races shouldn’t intermarry because Adam and Eve were of the same flesh or something.

I just can’t.

11 Likes

I’d love to see her DNA analysis, not that it would change her mind, or be part of a good argument against racism; For my own amusement.

11 Likes

Was the guffaw for the sentiment or just because she said out loud what everyone already know some people are thinking?

1 Like