Tennessee congressional candidate appeals to his white supremacist base

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I Tennessee it, but I can’t Tennebelieve it.

23 Likes

With Trump having already shown that explicit appeals to bigotry are more effective than dog whistles, is it really any surprise that the others of his ilk are following suit?

34 Likes

sadly sundown towns still exist in that part of murrica. i keep hoping that as a country we have grown past it but nope. on the plus side the connected world means this shit gets called out publicly and never stays just local anymore.

21 Likes

I thought this was satire, but…

30 Likes

“(The) Leave it to Beaver time when there were no break-ins; no violent crime; no mass immigration,” he told the news station.

That statement confirms what I have long suspected; tv ruins a person’s entire perspective of reality.

That world where there were no break-ins or violent crimes never existed… except in fictional towns populated by imaginary people.

55 Likes

I’m just reminded of this, back from when John Oliver was on the Daily Show, on the power of nostalgia:

8 Likes

Trevor’s cute and all; but damn, I miss Jon Stewart.

Good share; thanks.

7 Likes

Some day politicians will wax poetic for the time of Friends, when even a waitress or an unemployed actor or a hippie massage therapist could afford a huge apartment in Greenwich Village. (Also: Manhattan was populated almost exclusively by attractive white 20somethings who spent big chunks of their day sitting around in coffee shops.)

33 Likes

Well there’s a big problem right there. Just because you can find other racist/bigoted/reactionary people who share your views doesn’t make your crazy and stupid any less crazy or stupid. That just means you have crazy and stupid friends too.

13 Likes

And they never locked their doors, despite living in the heart of NYC, don’t forget that part.

25 Likes

Wow. No dog-whistle for this guy. He’s just lettin’ it right out there. David Duke circa 2016…

Indeed: Let’s hope this loses him more votes than it gains him. (Please)

8 Likes

White supremicist base = people who frequent stores that sell “hell no I ain’t fergettin’” bumper stickers. (They exist, trust me. I live in Alabama.)

9 Likes

Shouldn’t those also be fitted with some race blinders?

7 Likes

EXACTLY!!! These right wing individuals are not great historians.

They talk of returning to a glorious past. But in reality they are trying to create a new, horrible future.

19 Likes

Forget what in particular?

Oh, I believe.

I’ve lived in Ohio and Florida; I know such folks exist.

*shudderz

Oh, that’s an older, near obsolete model; I’m sure upgrades have been made by now.

9 Likes

I hate to introduce people to new ways to lose faith in humanity, but…

Oh, Hell, who am I kidding. I love doing just that.

http://dixieoutfitters.com/pages/blog/not-forgetting/

10 Likes

Allow me to add some precipitation to your personal parade, then:

10 Likes

My first job was at a tourist attraction called Confederama near Ruby Falls/Rock City, which sold these in spades. I swear I was 15 yrs old and just trying to avoid working at Taco Bell!!!

9 Likes