As Nazis, KKK, and militia descend, Georgia town shuts down public transport and park

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/14/as-nazis-kkk-and-militia-des.html

9 Likes

Hey, I am sure the ATF, DHS, etc., will be monitoring this situation closely, since they are all together and it is a good opportunity to use those social media and tracking skills they used on the BLM protesters… won’t they…?

crickets

50 Likes

Essentially, this sounds like a typical Trump rally. Is the Klan now anti-mask?

35 Likes

Organized by a 15-year-old no doubt, it’ll be seven dudes and a barbecue . blood bath? I mean the cops would obviously be in on it so I think it’s a lot of nothing. But fuck it, go ahead and kill yourselves you awesome supremacists you!

7 Likes

And they were doing so well at infection control.

5 Likes

They are an infection.

33 Likes

No permits. Unauthorized gathering. Time to tear gas the shit out of them and get federal goons to abduct them at random. After all that is the standard reaction to demonstrations these days, right?

71 Likes

I’ve been to the state park a couple of times. It sure is a lovely piece of nature with a disgustingly ugly past/present.

25 Likes

An armed gathering at redneck Rushmore? I hope they get spooked and gun themselves down.

15 Likes

It is a beautiful park! Of course we stayed for the laser show and I remember my 7 year old self wondering WTF? when the outlines of the generals “rode again” and the entire audience started whooping and whistling. Even as an ignorant young lad I knew something wasn’t right.

26 Likes

Microsoft is about to release their new flight simulator and Stone Mountain is shown in one of the trailers… Thought that was a miss considering the obvious.

12 Likes

Does the flight simulator have any bombers in the inventory? Because then I could see a great possibility!

35 Likes

Some call Stone Mountain “the largest shrine to white supremacy in the history of the world.”
Or the largest second place trophy in the world. Depends how you look at it.

43 Likes

I remember the same show. I think that I was there near the 4th of July because I remember a lot of fireworks too but it could have been the program. Booming marching music as the graphics projected on the mountain made the generals turn and appear to ride out, confederate flags flapping in the wind. Deep voiced narration referencing the next fight. Completely chilling. My sister said something about how they “lost the war” that made me instantly nervous and very Iowan. I kept thinking that these are the guys who were fighting for slavery, right? To the best of my recollection, this event was a part of the park program. There are plenty of straight weird things at US parks but this is right off the WTF-meter.

26 Likes

Hopefully all this attention and confirmation of the real meaning of the “monument” will ironically hasten it’s demise.

17 Likes

It would be a very nice place if they’d just chisel that sculpture off the face of it.

20 Likes

Dynamite

10 Likes

Second place in a race of two is the Loser Award.

9 Likes

The picture in the OP reminded me of a trip to the Menil Gallery years ago, shortly after I moved from Baton Rouge to Houston. There was a civil rights photography installation. Most of the photos were from 60s demonstrations, but one photo was of a very proud mother with her infant in her lap wearing a custom-tailored klan uniform above a caption that read “Baton Rouge, La. 1977.” It hit me pretty hard that I knew a lot of people in Baton Rouge the same age as the baby in the photo and it was entirely possible that one of them actually was that infant Klansman. As someone that grew up in a working class, Black neighborhood I’ve never been blind to the effects of white supremacy, but the other side – the open celebration of it – still seems so shocking. I try to picture what its like for those children growing up in that world, and while I’ve met plenty of them, I still just can’t wrap my head around what its like to be from that world or how to get them to see the horror of it

25 Likes

I’d like to see the heads all changed to Muppet characters and put a BLM brand on the horses

20 Likes