West Virginia GOP hangs a poster calling Rep. Ilhan Omar a terrorist in state capitol

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/01/west-virginia-gop-hangs-a-post.html

7 Likes

Also:

11 Likes

As a native WVian, can i try to explain how not surprising this is? My brother-in-law is a WV lawyer with political aspirations, a very intelligent (generally) and actually good guy. Mostly. I seriously pissed him off and compromised a family gathering by asking how he could tolerate the racism endemic in his party. His response was was that he “so tired of unthinking libs (me) who spout this kind of libelous charge.” He assured me that any stories of racism in the Republican party are just Dem propaganda. Oh, and liberals are “clearly and provably” more racist then conservatives, because constitution? No clue.

43 Likes

aka “Yell at white people about being racist and therefore must be racist against whites.”

37 Likes

This sounds like the “Democrats opposed the Civil Rights Act and founded the Klan” line that intentionally elides the subsequent 50 years of political history wherein all of the Democrats who hated the embrace of civil rights abandoned the party and became Republicans.

41 Likes

These are the best stooges ISIS never has to pay for

Through murderous provocation, the Islamic State seeks to trigger a civilizational war between Muslims and the West, violently dragging both parties into such a battle if need be. There can be no real victory in a conflict with such apocalyptic connotations. Instead, Western nations should remain defiant, making clear through word and deed that they refuse to see the world divided on the Islamic State’s terms.

19 Likes
2 Likes

Not all of them.

The GOP attempt to paint the Dems as solely responsible for racism is bullshit, but so is the Dem attempt to do the reverse.

The USA is a systematically white supremacist country, and that context shapes both parties. At present, the GOP is the more overtly racist of the two, but that does not absolve liberal white America of their own complicity in maintaining a racist society.

(from here)

23 Likes

Did you get out of WV? Blink thrice if you need assistance.

16 Likes

The sarcastic “l’chaim” at the end too? Ugh. At least she’s an equal opportunity bigot, I suppose.

8 Likes

Well you can tell they’re a hate group by the TrumPence poster.

8 Likes

Like most who can, I got an education and fled. The overwhelming brain drain going on for years is a significant part of why it is what it is now.

22 Likes

Me too, although from a different depressed area. Sometimes I feel bad about not staying to try to help improve things, but then I remember that the best job and life I’d be able to achieve there pales in comparison to what I can build and do elsewhere with better resources.

9 Likes

I spent close to 4 years of my life in Charleston and I sure as F glad I’m not there anymore. The town itself is ok but, the buffer between the city and the rural outskirts is a short one.

The dialect is coming back to me now … wow. Our home backed up to a state park and if you walked in far enough you came across makeshift coal mines dug into the hillsides, old homesteads surrounded by orange day lillys, tombstones and what often looked like abandoned moonshine operations.

My first artistic endeavor was there. Painting stomper dolls for local folk artists.

Ugggggh

Anybody have any info if she was kicked out? Or did the she stay unabated?

10 Likes

There ought’a be a law…

4 Likes

That escalated fast:

17 Likes

All religions are just an attempt to separate “them” from “us”.
White Black Yellow Red.
Might as well try to make a distinction between St. Bernards vs Chiuauas.

1 Like

Local reporting:

“…inquiries about who approved the display should go to the state Republican Party.”

West Virginia Republican Party

PO Box 2711
Charleston, WV 25330
Phone: 304.768.0493
Fax: 304.768.6083

Email: wvgop@wvgop.org

9 Likes

How do we know the toothbrush was invented in West Virginia?

Otherwise, it would be the “teethbrush”.

…I’ll see myself out, thanks, HEY, quit shovin’…!

7 Likes

I think you mean “wasn’t invented,” but whatever, it’s not like classist/regionalist jokes do anything at all positive for me.

4 Likes