West Virginia GOP hangs a poster calling Rep. Ilhan Omar a terrorist in state capitol

You exactly missed the joke.

2 Likes

Ah, got it. Not that I want it. As I said…

5 Likes

In a small moment off pride, I grew up in Marion County, which is represented by Del. Caputo, the man who kicked open the door on the delegates chamber in outrage over this mess. Nice.

14 Likes

This may add some clarity to the discussion.

6 Likes

I like this person’s response to Del Mike Pushkin:

18 Likes

yep, that’s their go-to argument.
But lately I have been hearing them rail against “progressives” instead of “Democrats” or “Liberals”.

I had a female lawyer go on and on about how terrible the “progressives” were recently and I commented how surprised I was that woman could vote and run for office these days thanks to those “progressives” (yes this was FB).

Her reply was that “those were Republicans!” (referring to the Progressive Era of the early 20th Century).

I just replied back that no one was talking about Democrats or Republicans, just Progressives.
And since she hated Progressives - who she just said were REPUBLICANS - I told her that I had to assume she was a Democrat.

At that point she wanted to change the subject.
I would not say she is a very good lawyer.

21 Likes

Heh, nice call out!

5 Likes

Ok, I’ll say it. The GOP really needs to be prosecuted for its complicity with this kind of racism, and its support of Trumps criminal enterprise.

Disbanding the organization is the only remedy.

8 Likes

Yep, that’s the fallback strategy I usually encounter. It probably accounts for much or most of why they believe the simplistic shite that is today’s conservatism. No sense in thinking through such things, I guess.

8 Likes

No, the line normally goes:

1. Lincoln was a Republican
  2. Democrats founded the KKK
  3. Democrats opposed integration and civil rights
  4. Democrats believe blacks are inferior and need government help (ie affirmative action is bad)
  5. Democrats are trying to keep blacks permanently childlike and indebted to the Democrats with social programs like welfare

which ignores

1. Lincoln would not recognize his party in the modern Republicans
  2. The Dixiecrats that founded the KKK and opposed integration & civil rights all left the party in the 60s and joined the Republican party
  3. see above
  4. Affirmative action is about addressing systemic racism, not some supposed racial deficiency
  5. Providing a basic safety net for the population does not make people childlike; however, the constant sabotage from the Republican party that makes using that safety net onerous and limits what the people on it can do/use the money for/ makes it very hard to get ahead (eg you can’t save more than $2,000 if you take food stamps).
18 Likes

Funny you say that, but our dog park is segregated and a Saint Bernard would not be welcome on the small dog side, but a Chiuaua would be allowed on the large dog side.

3 Likes

That’s if you can get them to explain themselves further than the yelling. And that can be a big if.

1 Like

I’ve had some luck with, “So you’re saying this is an argument? One where the loudest person wins?”

6 Likes

12 Likes

Well yeah, that’s my fallback, of course. :rofl:

4 Likes
7 Likes

giphy

16 Likes

Hey, nice tooth! =D

I lived in Ranson, WV, right next to Charles Town (no, not Charlestown) for FAR too long, thenkyew. Relax.

…I have to say, it was perhaps the most epic Wal Mart ever, at 2-3am. My, my.

1 Like

Ugh. Where have i heard that before. (Please note the lack of a question mark.)

4 Likes

What bigoted assholes.

13 Likes