Tennessee congressional candidate appeals to his white supremacist base

So any faith in humanity you may have once had was lost long ago, then?

2 Likes

clicks

13 Likes

Do it.

DO IT!!!

4 Likes

You’re secretly a masochist, aren’t you?

8 Likes

…and Chuck Norris was kicking bad-guys’ @$$ down in Texas.

3 Likes

But not Bruce Lee’s, though.

9 Likes

I had some new bullshit detectors that I needed to stress-test.

Unfortunately, they exploded, and I got the following error message:

23 Likes

“Surely, you don’t think that Gilligan’s Island is a…?”

7 Likes

Oh, yeah. I figured that was one of the possibilities.

It was destroyed at 5 years old when Robbie Turner refused to kiss me on the playground even when I clearly caught him in the chase around the merry-go-round.

13 Likes

Bummer.

*lolz

:wink:

10 Likes

In this case there’s also the nostalgic appeal of life when he was a kid (and completely unaware of what was going on in the world), something that’s also quite big with conservatives. But it’s a hell of a combo - a nostalgic view of the world when he was a kid and his perception of the world was entirely constructed from re-runs of the incredibly sanitized narratives of 1950s television. But all that only works if one is a total idiot with neither any curiosity about the world or empathy and one never gets any sort of education, formal or informal, that makes one realize none of that was remotely real.

12 Likes

5 Likes

Well, I know what we Tennesseans need to do.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched TDS in forever. Seems like Noah is never prepared for his interviews, and the general flavor of the show just seems like a shabby effort.

The Nightly Show is pretty good, they have some great contributors. Esp Mike Yard.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I didn’t start watching TDS faithfully until Jon was getting ready to retire.

Noah isn’t terrible, he’s just not Jon.

But Larry Wilmore, Sam Bee and John Oliver do help pick up the slack.

2 Likes

I am running against Tyler in this race. He ran four years ago and got about 5,000 votes. I don’t expect him to do better this time. I met him at a candidate forum last month. Unfortunately, he is for real, but fortunately he doesn’t have any better chance of defeating the incumbent than I do. I am just glad that whatever else this race brings I can sleep well knowing that I am not the worst person on the ballot.

23 Likes

Holy romanticizing the past, Batman! I guess there was less violent crime in the early 60s, not the late 60s, though.

Crime stats:

ETA - I guess it is progress that most of us seem gobsmacked instead of thinking, “Yep!” or “Seems about right.”

4 Likes

Grumpiness toggle fucking on.

3 Likes

During my long North-South drives between southern and Midwestern states I must have seen those billboards a hundred times. What is it? The only attraction that might have had a chance of pulling me over was Dinosaur World.