City council candidate openly endorses racism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/24/city-council-candidate-openly.html

9 Likes

“Manager Scott Shigley, who moderated the event, had cited population growth across the Great Lakes region between 2000 and 2015, half of which he said were foreign-born residents.”

Hell, in that part of the country - “foreign born” means the next small town over. You aren’t accepted until your kids have gone to school with their kids.

20 Likes

But he’s just telling it is he sees it. Doesn’t that make him virtuous? /s

Points awarded for use of “guffaw”

9 Likes

tumblr_porr0zZETm1tcarlro1_500

27 Likes

It’s a woman, actually… So, equality for women to be bigots? /s

29 Likes

Thanks. I missed that. Progress?

6 Likes

Unfortunately, no… white women have always had a major role in reinforcing white supremacy… See this pick of one of the Little Rock 9, Elizabeth Eckford:

The story behind that pic, BTW:

The screaming girl was only 15… She later apologized to Eckford, at least.

43 Likes

Women have always been essential in maintaining and preserving bigotry. The hand that rocks the cradle, so on and so forth.

18 Likes

I know. I just said that. :wink:

23 Likes

There’s a new book out detailing the history of white women owning slaves; “They were her property” by Stephanie E. Jones-Roger. Women were apparently allowed ownership of slaves, independent of their shared assets with their husbands, or assets that became their husband’s upon marriage. They used that ownership as investments in personal wealth. An chilling examination of economics and power dynamics.

https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300218664/they-were-her-property

15 Likes

14 Likes

This Fake News conveniently omits her explanation the next day that she is not a racist and the Bible supports her position. Case closed.

[I miss the days when I could forgo the obvious /s when posting.]

38 Likes

FFS. Why do the racists always double down? And of course, she starts spouting some kind of western religious text.

13 Likes

What the hell? She replied with ANOTHER racist position.

18 Likes

It’s racism all the way down.

25 Likes

One of the worst parts is that she’s one of five candidates for three seats. I don’t know anything a out Marysville, but it seems possible she could end up on the council just through voter ambivalence.

12 Likes

While there are racist old farts like this everywhere, I’m glad I live in places where they’d have a near-zero chance of getting on city council.

17 Likes

Cramer and the candidates were asked, “Do you believe the diversity of our community needs to be looked at, and if so, should we be more aggressive in attracting foreign-born citizens?”

That question was… interestingly framed.

21 Likes

They could have used the word immigrant, but everyone knows that means Mexican.

They could have used the phrase “people of color,” but everyone knows that’s just another way of saying “colored folk” or negro.

Life in small-town Michigan . . .

(And yes, I live in a small town in Michigan. Not that small town, and I hope a lot less prejudiced, but a lot of small towns around here are downright scary.)

13 Likes

Yep. See also:

Women of the Klan

The Women of America’s Extremist Right Wing

7 Likes