Classic superhero bodies photoshopped for believability

Very athletic women don’t tend to be very thin. Look at any softball league. Look at any woman who participates in Olympic weight lifting. These women aren’t thin. They have muscle and girth.

Just like athletic men!

9 Likes

Take a look at the gymnasts in @MikeTheBard’s link , both male and female. Look at the basketball players and the track & field multi-event athletes, or long-distance runners…

Athletic people have many different shapes just like people in general have many different shapes, but the shapes presented on the comic cover alterations don’t line up with reality any more than the unaltered comic drawings do. The alterations are “average people in cosplay,” not “more realistic depictions of athletic people who might also be underwear perverts.”

5 Likes

Agreed, but I don’t think the poster was advocating for the original, wasp-waisted caricatured body types from the comics. Rather, they were arguing for “unPhotoshopping” them to look like the real-life athletic people you describe.

Because the present project doesn’t seem to be saying “these body types are unrealistic ideals” so much as just saying “these body types don’t resemble everyday, unathletic people.” 'Shopping them to look like real-world athletic body types (which I actually think some of the pieces do) would send a clearer message that “THIS is what a powerful superheroic/athletic woman ACTUALLY looks like, and the depiction in comics is a sheer fabrication.”

1 Like

Bugs Bunny and Charlie Brown are unrealistic portrayals of body types. But when I’m reading or watching escapist fantasy for entertainment, I’m not curious about how the average person will resolve a conflict by following the rules.
Burne Hogarth and Julie Bell didn’t become renowned for their portrayals of clerks who are fairly adequate at inventory.
I don’t want to be reminded that no one can make a flying suit or conventional warfare could never defeat an interstellar battle fleet, so why get uptight over drawings?

2 Likes

2 Likes

What does Aquaman look like these days?

4 Likes

Personally I blame the original unattainable body images depicted in Classic Greek sculpture and other art, later copied by the Romans and perpetuated by hacks like Michelangelo.

6 Likes

Apparently, this comes from a lesson on “How to draw Abs”, and the complete lesson focuses on a variety of different athletic superhero types.

5 Likes

Damn those Spartan women and their documented records of athletic achievements.

Cycling seems to have one of the biggest differences between extremes:

2 Likes

Could they also rewrite those comics to make the characters even remotely resemble actual people?

1 Like

What would be the purpose then?
(OTOH, the same can be asked about decaf…)

1 Like

Khal Drogo (same actor in upcoming film).

To make me actually want to read them? Even escapist fantasy needs good writing.

3 Likes

Actually, what I know about Aquaman can be summed up here

And I know that Vincent Chase isn’t built like Michael Phelps.

Yes, because we want more realism in our escapism! A few more suggestions:
a) Add in some scenes of tax preparation into the next Terminator and Alien movies; otherwise, too boring.
b) Use Ableton to edit old soul records by the JBs and the Meters so that they sound less tight
c) Desaturate the color of any photos of Hawaiian or Balinese beaches because their cerulean oceans and golden sands are just too tropical. Shit is really distracting.

2 Likes

Ripley, this could have major, major tax implications!

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/7755/549613d1320435992seiko7.jpg

2 Likes

[quote=“petervidito, post:36, topic:53042”]Add in some scenes of tax preparation into the next Terminator and Alien movies[/quote]Can we just talk about the bonus situation?

8 Likes

Even more ridiculous than their inhuman physiques is way their costumes are drawn. I don’t care how ripped you are, I challenge you to find a real-life pair of gloves that shows every bulging vein in a forearm…

…or a material that clings every serratus anterior muscle but still manages to conceal nipples:

8 Likes

Yeah - super hero clothes are fantasy. It’s basically body paint. Everything is exaggerated. Many times it shows more details than one could possibly see unless you were skinned. Some times it makes it look really cool, other times it gets dorky (Looking at you, Leifeld).

1 Like