Clever inventor designs sock removal device

It seems I really can be the first here to say: sock it to me, baby.

But, then again, I’m hosed.

2 Likes

I would have happily bought one after my failed back surgery. It would be nice to have another to help put on socks. I needed help like for the first month or so.

3 Likes

Desocking is a far more pleasant activity to watch than degloving.

1 Like

Possibly nsfw

Now I’m horrified to imagine what The Cult’s Love Removal Machine would look like in action.

1 Like

Yes. Devices to help the disabled on and off with their shoes and socks are totally a thing and not at all useless.

3 Likes

This would be very useful for those of us with limited flexibility and/or grip strength. Sorry, Xeni, but not “useless.” Hmmm. Boot scraper, Velcro, Glue – maker time !!

2 Likes

Like that snuggler thing designed for wheelchair users that needed wider sales to make a go of it.

1 Like

Sadly, most “sock aids” require a lot of grip strength, so many, especially nerve injury patents, find them worse than useless. That blue thing in the video clip might be OK. For some socks :wink:

1 Like

I’m partial to spray-on socks.

1 Like

Isn’t the point, though, that you can release mobility enhancing tools at ridiculous “medical device” mark-ups and then just shoulder the whole bill on Medicare?

Well gosh darn it!

2 Likes

I was really hoping for a specialized breed of helper puppy.

4 Likes

Only if a company wants to go through the trouble of certifying everything to be a medical device, which most companies really don’t want to go through the trouble

As such a person who can’t easily pull on socks, I can confirm. There plenty of assistive devices; I use something like this simple half-tube of slippery plastic and a cotton cord. Doesn’t require any hand strength; I just twist the cotton strap around my wrist:

GIS shows it can be even simpler:

ETA: no hand strength needed!

1 Like

Some socks are hard to remove.

1 Like

I’ll invent a second device to remove your sockets from the first device.

I dropped my grandmar off at the home after crimbo dinner, and had to take her socks off for her, she has a machine to get them on but can not get them, off, so this is not silly or useless and hell of a lot of old people, she is 94 in 2 weeks, would get a lot of use out of this.

the text of a card hanging in my living room…

“Remember when it was sunny and we didn’t have to wear socks?”

After having abdominal surgery two weeks ago, I can safely say that a device like this is definitely not useless. Quite the opposite. As mentioned above it does need a companion sock-putting-on-er device though. Could also need one for shoes.

Edit: no idea why the word “surgery” disappeared from this post. Fixed.

1 Like