Clever non-lethal mousetrap made from soda bottle

I just found Iris with a almost-dead mouse. She was showing it to Manny Pearl, so I guess our local mouse patrol just gained a junior member.

ETA: I was going to take a picture of Manny playing with the mouse, but he’s doing it right next to the little boxes. I’m not photographing that.

1 Like

I love that video, though that’s definitely way too big to be a mouse - it’s a rat.

1 Like

Ugh, glue traps are the worst. I once worked at a fast food place where mice became a problem (restaurant next door shut down, and I think all their mice came over), and someone decided glue traps were the way to go. So cruel.

4 Likes

The “father son project” is from Chris Notap’s description, not Mark’s words.

1 Like

Right, if the child isn’t learning TDD (test driven design) by mounting the bottle in a test for whether the mouse remains caught until released, they’re being taught cat-later design and will never train the incidental duck and bunny to eat the bugs and weeds people wouldn’t, go behind the mulberry terrace, and deadpan Studio Ghibli lines.

So in lieu of the space loop, how about a loop where mice are regularly launched for reasonable raptor capture? Rooftop Logan’s Run Carnival (see, youth of the moment; if you’re 28 and still have a small apartment, this happens?)

If they get big enough, maybe they can run through jump-n-run game level designs getting down from the maple. Maybe if they swole to chinchilla size before they get picked up, I gotta train them up to do fruit grafting and broker peace among cats. Light glazing in summer, window defrost in winter. Clean out the river rock hardscaping. Set up all those garden tinctures and mud treatments for bark. I’m not running out of uncooked mulch fodder yet.

Yes. Good pick. Spring-balanced mass sensor and flag to attend; or with the 2L. notion given a magnet latch (and a spiral log advanced per activation, with time of day from a wound attractor mechanism or deprecated timeclock.)

2 Likes

Rabbits I somewhat understand as a gift (none for me, thanks), but ducks? I’m from Floriduh, where most of the things people release into the Everglades would happily dine on a few domesticated ducks. I’ve also learned that people release horses into the desert when they don’t want to care for them anymore.

But yeah, kill the mouse quickly–they (as a group) don’t need our help in surviving.

You get no break. How do you know the poster was being facetious? That her outrage was faux? Can you see inside the poster’s head? Or maybe you’re omniscient? What a shame we don’t have you looking over all the BB posts, so we could only hear from certifiably outraged posters, rather than the facetious, faux-outrage ones.

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

Well, duh, because wimmim are lying liars, who only complain for the attention, right? /s

5 Likes

MIISSSSAAAANNNNDDDRRRREEEEEEEEE

4 Likes

3 Likes

Well, a typical snapping mouse trap doesn’t capture more than one mouse either.

You did that b/c you know I can’t like it. YOU KNOW I CAN’T!!

misandreeeeee

Also, in a moment of weakness (and b/c that’s the only thing the store had) I purchased and used a glue trap in an old apartment. Caught the mouse that night (and scared the shit out of me with the mouse’s thrashing about), and figured I had to finish the job by either 1) mouse and trap go into paper bag, which then goes into the freezer, mouse dies of hypothermia, or 2) death by shovel.

Since it was 3am when I was deciding all of this, I first opted for the bag in the freezer. And after about two minutes of, “Do you remember what it was like when you camped, soaking wet from the rains down below, on that glacier in the Glacier Peak Wilderness? Frozen shoes in the morning, freezing cold all night, basically just a dull throb of cold getting colder…”, and I immediately shifted to solution #2.

2 Likes

If you’re going to play the arbiter of what is and is not humane and land squarely on “kill them outright” when the alternative is inconvenient food/water/shelter that may or may not eventually prove fatal, then you’re gonna run into a bit of controversy.

Cool! So when you get your mouse sanctuary up and running, let me know & I’ll send you all the mice I can catch to care for humanely, however you see fit.

Until then, I’m gonna go with killing them before they spread feces and disease all through my house.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.