Clever uses for blue painter's tape around the shop (and house)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/01/clever-uses-for-blue-painters-tape-around-the-shop-and-house.html

4 Likes

Similar to the splintering wood … running a strip of blue painter’s tape along the length of a cut line on aluminum prior to cutting on a table saw will result in a significantly cleaner cut with no burrs. Just do the top side as wrapping around the bottom can cause dragging issues if the tape catches or starts to peel midcut. I use this when cutting sheet stock or reducing leg widths on oversized angle stock.

9 Likes

Useful for hanging up pee pads around the house for one of our cats (now RIP) to use, since he eschewed the litter box.

2 Likes

Here’s a tip even more useful than any of the tips in this video: always skip past at least the first 45 seconds of these types of videos.

11 Likes

I appreciate your deep lover of your cat. Man.

3 Likes

well, in a couple of years I’ll probably need them.

4 Likes

In this case, it was closer to 18%. You can press 2 and YouTube jumps 20% into the video.

6 Likes

These are good.
Another tip (not having to do with wood working) if you live in a house with plaster walls like I do.
Place the tape at the spot where you need to drive a nail to hang something and it will keep the plaster from chipping whilst driving the nail.

10 Likes

Also helps stop skidding when drilling a tile.

4 Likes

Blue Painter’s Tape and Gaffer’s Tape (aka Gaff Tape) are two of the most useful things ever, and I always keep both at hand.

4 Likes

Good video. It covered pretty much all the uses I’ve found for this tape, and a few I hadn’t seen. It’s my go-to tape for any short-term light-duty use. Duct tape is for artisans. :grin:

One more use: wrap tape around steel cable and cut through it. It holds the cable firm so it’s easier to cut, and the strands don’t splay out, so the end will go through a small hole such as a compression sleeve. Of course, it also allows you to mark the exact length you want.

Final tip: green tape is cheaper.

7 Likes

I’m a blue tape zealot and still learned a couple of new ones in this video and thread. One more I’ll add: use it for layout on walls and floors. When considering a new piece of furniture, or where to hang a TV, “draw” the outline with tape. Really helps get a sense of the physical presence of the thing. More so than drawings or CAD.

One neg I have to throw in: don’t use blue tape for labeling things. Ink is absorbed over time and the writing won’t be there in a month when you need it.

8 Likes

A little different: Indoor race tracks, hopscotch, tossing targets on a tile or linoleum floor to help with stir crazy kids.

8 Likes

I use blue tape to label recycled containers in the freezer and have never had trouble with the writing; I use a Sharpie. How else would I know I have 5 pints of chicken broth :smiley:

7 Likes

The one from 4.02 to 4.33 - I did not see the point of that. He’d already shown how to use a loop to hold two pieces together, so why the glue on tape, if it was a temporary requirement?

When using blue tape for masking between two colors, apply your tape, paint the leading edge with the same color that is already on the wall and let it dry (if you have some leftover paint, otherwise you will need to start from scratch). This will seal the edge so when you paint your second color it can’t leak under your tape and you will get a nice crisp line.

9 Likes

On a related note: when cutting and sealing paracord, wrap the area to cut in painter’s tape, make your cut, then burn the end with your heat source before removing the tape. this will ensure a cleanly sealed end on the cord.

4 Likes

This is commonly done in CNC woodworking. The bond between the backs of the tape superglued together is flat and stronger than a loop of tape. A loop is actually weaker than the glue of the tape itself because it can flex and peel itself up via shear forces. Supergluing the backs together puts all the force in tension where the glue is strongest.

5 Likes

Edit: nevermind, VeronicaConnor beat me to it. Serves me right to load a bunch of BBS links and take too much time reviewing them all.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned that as well. I have done that with rope and cord, and then dipped the ends in Plasti Dip for a neat durable “whipping”.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

2 Likes