Climber falls to death from Hong Kong skyscraper

Originally published at: Climber falls to death from Hong Kong skyscraper | Boing Boing

1 Like

So now some innocent apartment dweller is potentially scarred for life because an asshole influencer had to get a selfie doing something stupid.

Too harsh? Don’t care.

18 Likes

Nope.

Spot on.

5 Likes

Didn’t someone else die in a similar fashion like, last week or so?

1 Like

Can’t really blame her, letting some weirdo into her rich employer’s penthouse would likely be risking her job.

13 Likes

I’m sad for his family, but “play stupid games.”

4 Likes

This guy?

4 Likes

That’ll be it, aye.

2 Likes

Ok - so in this Colorado case they were on a 5.4 - which is technically very easy and just slightly harder than scrambling (hands on hiking).

My guess is that the building was a harder line due to being vertical and slippy (steel, glass, concrete).

So to put it perspective - still incredibly risky, technically easy, but still in a vastly different category than what you saw if you watched the film Free Solo.

No thanks!

6 Likes

a klassische Feierabendrunde?

1 Like

Ja mein freund

2 Likes

She.

Bailee was a very accomplished and experienced climber. Blitzen Ridge is basically a training route for someone like her. It’s not really a climbing route but more of a challenging hiking trail with extreme exposure on both sides. Goes to show that no matter how skilled a person is, one mistake can be fatal.

10 Likes

Yeah. He must have realized he was in trouble somehow. I don’t blame her, either. I hope she doesn’t blame herself.

5 Likes

That’s a big dose of nope. I guess file under “play stupid games…”

1 Like

Perhaps the good of his life/ death will be to dissuade others from following his footsteps.

2 Likes

…but, but - what about the ‘likes’?

… died due to blunt force injuries sustained from a 500-foot-fall

Blunt force trauma it certainly accurate, but seems, somehow, inadequate in this event.

Like the recovery drink after the 200m crash cushion inflates on target and doesn’t splash you 270m…to the side, or very closely on the climbing substrate. Like the catcher drones being ready to pull your fat out if the cushion and chute and wearable electric aircraft and ejection/parachute kit failed. Like an in with the chef or dog on floor 68. Like architectural endorsements. Like making new light permits into Hong Kong.

Do they not make 200 m long inflatable marine tube chutes?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.