Clinton apologizes after calling Trump's bigoted supporters "deplorable"

I am sure that David Duke prefers one particular brand of peanut butter, and has a favorite make of car. That does not make Skippy or Ford or whatever racist peanut butter or cars.
It is up to Duke himself to decide who or what he endorses, without any input from those being endorsed. Does Trump or anyone else endorse Duke?

1 Like

Does it matter?

If your policies (so far as anyone can make them out) appeal to the likes of David Duke to the extent that he endorses you, that should tell you something. Whether Trump outright says he wants or disavows Duke’s support, it doesn’t make any difference.

5 Likes

His choice in peanut butter has nothing to do with national politics. I don’t care about that and it’s irrelevant.

If you haven’t read it, check out this selection from the article that @chgoliz posted earlier:

After Steve Bannon turned his far-right Breitbart News site into an explicit clearinghouse for “alt-right” white supremacist ideology — going so far as to get rid of some of the site’s most prominent ultra-conservative Jewish writers — after that, Donald Trump hired Bannon to run his campaign. Bannon hasn’t run a national presidential campaign before, but instead of turning to any of the many very conservative Republicans with greater expertise and experience, Trump turned to the alt-right champion who has a problem with Jews. And Trump chose him because he is an alt-right champion. It’s not like Bannon is some multi-faceted guy whose reputation is based on many different things. He’s the alt-right guy. That’s his thing. And if you choose to hire the alt-right guy, that’s why.

Again, this is all documented, witnessed, televised. We saw this happen. We are seeing this happen right now. We have borne witness and we are bearing witness. Trump’s Twitter feed with it’s endless litany of white supremacist retweets is still live, still public, and not a matter of dispute or question.

This is the guy running his campaign. I really don’t know how much more proof you need that this is a serious issue that we should be concerned about, that a candidate for one of our two major parties for president has serious, excited support from white supremacists and people who are pretty much only a step away from being white supremacists… and that has in fact used obviously racist remarks. If you can’t see this as a problem then I honestly don’t know what else to tell you.

13 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here…

24 Likes

AKA one of the most common causes of death for people in Clinton’s age group.

President Kaine?

3 Likes

Oh! I didn’t realize that. Still.

2 Likes

Really should have picked Warren as a running mate.

2 Likes

She’s probably okay; it mostly kills people without access to modern medical care, and the demented elderly whose physicians have given up on keeping them alive.

I hope she’s had her IPD vaccine, though.

Incidentally, this was my first ever scientific publication: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4161/hv.4.5.6114

6 Likes

So, we’re back to “it’s not ebola” then? I’m sure she’s up to date on everything. She’s rich, after all and probably has a good PCP.

Also, neat! Thanks for sharing your article.

4 Likes

Wall Street wouldn’t allow it.

[She’s also decided she doesn’t really want or need the Millennial vote? I haven’t seen her try to address Millennials in any way that isn’t pandering. ]

I guess Tim Kaine’s as good a choice as any. Unexciting, won’t steal the spotlight or do anything stupid. People who don’t follow politics don’t know him, and people who do follow politics know him but don’t care about him, but at least they don’t hate him.

I haven’t read anything about Kaine that I like. I’d have put him dead last of all the potential VP picks I saw (EDIT: I tell a lie, that was Castro). Picking Tim Kaine did nothing but make me think harder about supporting Jill Stein (not that I have a vote, but if the Dems had tried to come up with a ticket I liked I might have bothered applying for citizenship). Picking someone that seems to be to the right of someone already to the right of what I wanted wasn’t something designed to appeal to me.

https://twitter.com/blabdill/status/775096294939496449

6 Likes

Shit my mom is 68 and she couldn’t handle her schedule.

Though she has had 2 surgeries lately and limited mobility.

1 Like

“She should be shot in a firing sqaud”, they shouted in prepositional ignorance. “Hanged for treason”, they clamored in a sentence fragment. She called them a “basket of deplorables”, so they complained to Daddy that she called them names. Sub-literate wimps and whiners, the lot.

To be clear, Clinton was slightly confused and apologized for the remark she almost made. “Basket of deplorables” is HIllary-speak for “sack of assholes”.

In either case, I’m sure she meant it in a positive life-affirming way.

10 Likes

For extra delightfulness, Roger Stone, Trump advisor (and racist scumbag), and Donald Trump Jr. (son, and campaign advisor to papa Trump) shared Duke’s image. But it’s all in our heads.

6 Likes

This is part of why compassion is the weapon you use against Trump and his most vocal supporters.

“You’re awful people who should be ashamed of yourselves” doesn’t convince anyone to change their minds.

“I hear your anger, I see your pain, but I think there’s a better way forward than building a wall and here it is” might not reach everyone, and it sure as hell doesn’t feel as gratifying, but for people who want to choose not to hate, it’s at least an option they can pick without feeling opprobrium about it. It acknowledges why someone would ever think that building a wall is something they can vote for, and it gives them something not-crazy to vote for instead.

It’s something Clinton has really struggled with, though. “You should vote for me because I’m not a crazy bigot, obviously,” doesn’t work when people don’t agree with how obvious that should be.

5 Likes

She was trying to make that case to the rest with the part of the speech immediately following writing off the hard-core racists and hate-mongers (who, IMO, aren’t going to be swayed by compassion):

7 Likes

Yeah, that part’s compassionate.

The fact that that’s not what anyone on TV is talking about is why the part before that was a mis-step…and part of why she struggles.

3 Likes

Then why are some Well known Repubs declaring their support for Clinton and stating the reason is related to DT?

1 Like

Not strictly on topic, but worth reading.

4 Likes

Because:

1. The old-school GOP leadership has very little in common with the 21st century GOP base, and

2. The old-school GOP leadership recognise that Clinton is basically a Reaganite.

A handful of the GOP establishment may vote for Clinton. Almost none of the rank-and-file will.

5 Likes