Clinton attorney found not guilty of lying to feds

And Army Rangers? Rangers lead the way! So many cool elite units upon which to place ones’ childish hero-worship. Give the SEALs a break, angry white men of Murica!

10 Likes

And . . .

6 Likes

I’ve worked with some former Navy Seals in my professional life. Some are truly badass and awesome leaders. Many are not.

One fellow was up for a security clearance refresh and was asked whether he had killed anybody. “What do you think?” was his answer.

5 Likes

If they can lie, then so should the public. So if you think suspects and witnesses should be criminally liable if they lie to law enforcement, then law enforcement should be criminally liable for lying to suspects and witnesses. A large number of false confessions and convictions have come from police lying to people in interrogations.

5 Likes

Its not that you have an affirmative right to lie to law enforcement. Its that they can only prosecute you if the lie was material to the investigation (i.e. deliberate misdirection, willful obstruction…). Minor, immaterial lying is just not a criminal offense.

I’m saying that should go both ways.

If an officer tells me he’s going to get a cup of coffee but really he’s going to consult with a colleague, I don’t care. If the officer tells me they have my DNA on a murder weapon that I was never anywhere near, that matters and should be illegal.

5 Likes

I worked with a former Army Ranger sniper who had one of the longest confirmed kills, an Iraqi tank commander at 1000 yards. I ignorantly asked him what that was like and he of course didn’t want to talk about it. Because nobody feels like a hero when your job is go to a country where the locals don’t want you there, kill people who never did anything to you, then live with that because it’s your job. The real heroes in this world are healthcare workers and teachers.

8 Likes

Cops are lying assholes by nature. We have what’s left of the 4th Amendment because our system assumes they are. We know they frequently play fast and loose with facts, due process and rights.

That is why when in custody or if you weren’t the one to call them, the proper response to their queries is “I’m not talking without my lawyer”.

Law enforcement lies cause false confessions, inappropriate convictions, and cause the actual criminals to go free. It’s beyond time to end the practice. There’s no good justification for it.

5 Likes

Delta Force became objects of fantasy because of a Chuck Norris movie. Real delta would prefer nobody knew they were delta. They don’t wear a distinctive unit insignia like SEALS do and don’t look like roided-out assholes, going for the “every man” look instead.

Most people in the public probably only heard of real delta from Mogadishu when Gordon and Shugarth were killed and paraded around the city.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.