Clock Boy moving to Qatar, with full scholarships

He met Obama. Now he’s off.

Interesting twist to the whole affair.

Well done, Texas. One of the brighter minds in the country is emigrating. Good job. Applause all round. No I’m not being sarcastic. Yes I am. No I’m not. Yes I am.

Brain drain who what?

6 Likes

Ask only that you remember that 25 million+ people are not a monolithic ideology.

But yeah, that’s pretty fucked up. I mean, I have nothing personal again Qatar - it’s a solid nation with no more aggregate backwardness than Tejas (theirs is different, but perhaps not greater, and I see no value in comparing oppression anyways) as far as I can tell - but this is our loss. All that said, I hope he follows his heart and finds a way to better the world. I love Texas and 'Murica (the Peoples, not the fucked up government), but I love Humanity even more. As long as he listens to his conscience and works for a better planet, I’m happy for him wherever he calls home.

5 Likes

It’s a bit of a leap to describe a kid who reconstructed a digital clock as “one of the brighter minds in the country”, isn’t it? And frankly, if me and my family had encountered the things he had in Texas – which I’m sure haven’t gotten better now that they’re famous – I’d take Qatar up on their generous offer, too.

2 Likes

I stand firm that he’s a bright spark. Dummies don’t do that stuff!

Publicity coup for Qatar. It doesn’t put the whole USA to shame, but the whole episode is massively symptomatic of underlying issues.

4 Likes

Not to mention the casual racism with which Master Mohamed was discussed. And out of curiosity, I wonder if Mohamed’s visit to the White House will be a boon or a boat anchor for him and his family in Qatar.

In the meantime, my nano-desigining PhD-toting cousin whose microchip showed up on X-Files has taken a job moving him from Taxachusetts to TexaWUT?. At least it’s in Austin, which is like a city-sized enclave of some other, non-Texan state.

2 Likes

That is as nature intended…
Follows the law of conservation of consonants.
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonia “pahks” his “cah”, the lost r’s migrate southwest, causing a Texan to “warsh” his car and invest in “erl” wells.

4 Likes

‘Texas’ is slang for ‘crazy’ in Norway | All Ablog Austin

1 Like

To be fair, it means the same thing in most of the U.S. as well. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 486 days. New replies are no longer allowed.