Clueless Georgia governor had no idea coronavirus could spread without symptoms "until the last 24 hours"

Calling them dumb only feels good, but it doesn’t really explain or help fix the problems we are facing.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Ignoring facts, serving the public.

What could go wrong?

6 Likes

Doctor Toomey is far worse than the governor. He can feign ignorance based on the ostrich principle, but she’s the physician in charge of understanding this disease in her state. And she’s claiming ignorance because “asymptomatic people generally haven’t been tested, and their models were only built on diseases that were confirmed by tests.” Which is a completely anti-scientific approach to take when you already knew testing was extremely limited and was painting an inaccurate picture of the infection rates; and especially when you knew the WHO and CDC have been saying for two months that patients are contagious within about 24 hours of inoculation, and that patients are asymptomatic for an average of 5 days (1-14 days seems to be current best estimate at the full range of contagiousness.) It doesn’t take a “model” to realize that asymptomatic people unknowingly spread the disease for four days - it takes an elementary school arithmetic education.

Her statement can only be explained either by taking a purely political approach to the math based on the premise that someone in authority told her to minimize the numbers and she did, or by gross incompetence at ignoring the previous science. Either answer is so unethical that her license to practice medicine should be subjected to intense scrutiny.

To cap it off, at the tail end of the video she says, “…the time is now to try to stop the community transmission.” Dear doctor, that time arrived a month ago, and you knew it a month ago.

37 Likes

TGOP / tRumplefuckstick Cult at its best.

12 Likes

Because he (and pols like him) focus on grabbing power by any means they can, to line their own pockets at the expense of their constituents. They are stupid enough to believe they’ll somehow take it all with 'em on the way to hell, and that “winning” is the only thing that matters.

20 Likes

Because he stole the election. See @MalevolentPixy’s comment for more infuriating details.

ETA: Oh, and @PsiPhiGrrrl

14 Likes

Oh, please. There’s ignorance and there’s willful ignorance.

12 Likes

by the way, when do you think they will present this to the public from a press conference - my money is on “never”

10 Likes

Yes. I came to say that I bet he doesn’t know what it means.

5 Likes

Election fraud.

15 Likes

5 Likes

Is there a news outlet out there that regularly covers smart, intelligent, hard-working public servants? I’d like to start listening to those people.

11 Likes

It has something to do with preverts and degenerates, right?

3 Likes

Public servants usually can’t talk to the press directly. The press has to go through an agency’s press office, which follows whatever line the administration is spouting.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean rank and file. I mean Mayors, Gov’s, etc., that can talk to the press, AND that are actually intelligent. I realize that narrows the field…but still, I hope.

2 Likes

Ah. As a former public servant (of the rank and file type), I naturally assumed.

Well, I guess stupidity makes better headlines than good sense.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Gupta raked him over hot coals about this

9 Likes

The former. Dr. Toomey is an epidemiologist that used to work for the CDC. If she isn’t lying to cover for the governor I’d be shocked. Its hard to imagine that she really didn’t know that asymptomatic people are spreading the virus.

12 Likes