CNN blurs faces of Trump's "secret police", then admits it screwed up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/20/cnn-blurs-faces-of-trumps.html

7 Likes

The pot calls the pan burnt-arse.

2 Likes

Well, I know that I totally buy that explanation and Jake Tapper/CNN continue to enjoy my trust

How about you guys

3 Likes

Jake Tapper insisting it was a mistake: they had intended to blur our the protestors, not the police, but someone screwed up.

Speaking as someone who worked in the TV news industry, I’m going to call BS on that. Either the editors were instructed to blur the faces of the officers (as is standard practise when airing footage of LEOs assumed to be undercover) or no instructions were given at all on the assumptions they would operate as normal. TV news outlets rarely (approaching never) blur the faces of protesters.

23 Likes

A video editor working for a major network knows the do’s and don’t ‘s.

It’s their one job.

9 Likes

Protestors… oppressors. Kind of sound similar.

3 Likes

You know what would go a long way to demonstrating they screwed up? How about a report that outlines in detail exactly who these “officers” are, exactly what chain of command they report to, and whose orders they were following. You know, some actual fucking journalism that goes beyond pointing a camera and then having a panel of sixteen shouting buffoons talking over it?

26 Likes

12 Likes

But what that take, you know, work?

(Really wish I lived in a world where I didn’t think this needs a /s)

2 Likes

Hey, I wouldn’t want to piss of the Gestapo either. That’s how you get on a list and pulled into a van!

10 Likes

Producers and editors just don’t care about this sort of thing, they resent being expected to care about it

…until the goons come for them. Or fire directly at the cameras.

5 Likes

That already happened… at least for their Black journalists:

12 Likes

They’d blur a hooded klansman for the right price.
Whoopsiedaisies

3 Likes

Sorry and seriously, no quarter for Jake Tapper especially, as Beschizza says, if this is not the first time CNN has blurred the faces of goon (and hopefully not soon to be death) squads.

I honestly think what needs to happen between now and November is a total boycott of these networks who give cover to fascism and their advertisers. The only thing that seems to change things since 2016 is hitting them hard in the wallet. Look at the success @slpng_giants have had on Twitter of disrupting various Faux News programs by getting companies to remove ad buys.

4 Likes

You’re right, it is a “tomato” / “tomato” thing.

1 Like

Either way, they both get squished.

1 Like

Summer interns.

If “someone” screwed up then the organization should stand behind the mistake fully and not disclose more than “we made a serious mistake and we’ve corrected it” (which their wording is not)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.