The White House banned cameras from press briefings, so CNN sent in a courtroom sketch artist

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/23/the-white-house-is-having-off.html

8 Likes

Oh good. I was hoping someone would do exactly this.

17 Likes

Briny Whiners

34 Likes

I’m sorry, angry at CNN or the WH?

2 Likes

I predict covert recording devices and (you guessed it) More Leaks!

8 Likes

I would try and get one of the artists from The Simpsons or a fairground characture artist.

19 Likes

Yeah, I couldn’t parse the target of that statement either.

4 Likes

They’re angry at CNN, they’re angry at the WH, but mostly they’re just angry.

16 Likes

though not as “Spicey” as they used to be.

4 Likes

They seem to be angry at CNN for “staging a stunt”.

9 Likes

When you disrespect the authority of a pompous bully, they will disrespect your dignity.

It’s like the WH thinks the news has the same attention span the President does. Like if he ignores the press pool they will go away, or maybe even try saying nicer things to please angry daddy.

SAD!

11 Likes

I predict Alt-Sketches.

9 Likes

Spicer: So needless to say I’m odds and ends. I’ll be stumbling away slowly learning that life is OK. Say after me, It’s no better to be safe than sorry. Take on me. Take me on. I’ll be gone in a day…!

14 Likes

As an artist, I’m just glad to see courtroom sketch artists finding enough work these days. Woohoo!

27 Likes

Right?

That was my silver lining in this story…

10 Likes
7 Likes

Agreed. But if CNN must get an actual courtroom sketch artist, Spicer and co. truly deserve the genius who sketched Tom Brady in the deflategate trial:

17 Likes

Which is one of those right-wing “Accuse your opponent of exactly what you are doing” things, I guess.

22 Likes

I think the artist is more flattering to Spiceboy than the camera.

7 Likes

It’s not unreasonable for them to think that; it worked in Russia.

As Masha said last year:

The national press is likely to be among the first institutional victims of Trumpism. There is no law that requires the presidential administration to hold daily briefings, none that guarantees media access to the White House. Many journalists may soon face a dilemma long familiar to those of us who have worked under autocracies: fall in line or forfeit access. There is no good solution (even if there is a right answer), for journalism is difficult and sometimes impossible without access to information.

The power of the investigative press—whose adherence to fact has already been severely challenged by the conspiracy-minded, lie-spinning Trump campaign—will grow weaker. The world will grow murkier. Even in the unlikely event that some mainstream media outlets decide to declare themselves in opposition to the current government, or even simply to report its abuses and failings, the president will get to frame many issues. Coverage, and thinking, will drift in a Trumpian direction, just as it did during the campaign—when, for example, the candidates argued, in essence, whether Muslim Americans bear collective responsibility for acts of terrorism or can redeem themselves by becoming the “eyes and ears” of law enforcement. Thus was xenophobia further normalized, paving the way for Trump to make good on his promises to track American Muslims and ban Muslims from entering the United States.

9 Likes