CNN graphic shows Trump woefully inadequate in pissing match with CDC Director

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/17/cnn-graphic-shows-trump-woeful.html

10 Likes

What is this wingnut thing where people argue from authority by virtue of relation to authority? “My dad is a professor of music.” “My uncle is a nuclear scientist.” “My cousin is a doctor.” Is it because they believe that family relations actually confer the kind of authority they are seeking? They disparage actual education but somehow being related to someone with credentials shows expertise?

The graphic didn’t list the accomplishments of Redfield’s familial relations, but I imagine there are some.

17 Likes

Only one medical qualification?
What about all that VD he heroically avoided? It was literally his Vietnam…

16 Likes

“My father’s an OB/GYN, so of course I know what the hell I’m doing.”

7 Likes

Irony?

2 Likes

That was Rand Paul’s qualification for the senate!

19 Likes

I’m not sure if the same applies to the downmarket wingnuts; but the high budget ones, both in terms of nepotism and in terms of arrogant embrace of the idea that they deserve their various privileges, seem to be straight back in the mindset of hereditary feudalism; so believing that competence, as well as divine right, flows through their veins isn’t too out of character.

Some of these spats actually look a lot like the skirmishes between feudal sorts defending their customary prerogatives and the new class of commoner professionals; except that last time they were moving in the right direction.

8 Likes

tumblr_d329c2e50cb2b90527060d90a4c5dc0a_41227ce3_540

23 Likes

No, I think the irony is that these same wingnuts who argue from authority via a relative will also brag about Donald being “an outsider” who knows nothing of how Washington works, so therefore he’s the perfect guy to run things.

If only there were a graphic to show the stupidity of this idea . . . oh wait, here we go. . .

nyer

33 Likes

15 Likes

It’s not that competence is inherited. It’s that competence is irrelevant. It can be bought as needed (and rarely is.) Witness the Spanish Hapsburgs: in the end the dynasty had decayed so much that it was not only incapable of producing remotely competent rulers but that they couldn’t even do the only thing that was essentially their own: reproduction.

5 Likes

This sort of thing, along with calling a lie a lie, is at least four years too late.

13 Likes

Since when has Trump’s complete lack of meaningful qualifications in ANY subject stopped him from shouting his mouth off? The man is a menace to all humanity. He knows absolutely nothing about anything and if he had a brain, he would be even more dangerous than his current behaviour exhibits. He needs to go before he starts WW3.

4 Likes

I’m all for pointing out that trump is a willfully ignorant fool, but lets not make Redfield out to be the good guy. His whole career is incompetence and stoogery. The whole reason that Bush and trump both picked him is that he’s a yes man that will say what they want to hear and won’t interrupt with too many inconvenient truths

12 Likes

Just because Trump is a dimwitted twit, doesn’t mean his opinions are any less valid than someone with years of experience and world class knowledge on the subject. This is just an Appeal to Authority fallacy. We have to believe him because…uhhhh…Trump’s an authority figure…or something like that.

5 Likes

Does his opposition here make him more or less credible though?

1 Like

The only burn that would have been better:

“Played a doctor on TV.”

6 Likes

14 Likes

That Redfield in some small way publically contradicted the president despite being chosen for not doing so adds evidence that he is right here. It is a tricky thing, though. When he is put up as the authority for this, and then turns around and says some ideological nonsense tomorrow they’ve added to the people who will believe him. If instead they consult one of the thousands with a stronger record than Redfield, you can make the same point about trump being ignorant without the side-effects

5 Likes

would “is a shithead” count as a medical credential?

2 Likes