CODE keyboard

Whew, pulled that one out of the fire.

I have several IBM Model M’s stockpiled. I’m still a faster and more accurate typist on them than on anything more recent, and I’m convinced that it’s part of why I’ve never experienced significant RSI issues. There’s a lot of subtle ergonomic detail in that one which more recent keyboard designs simply ignored. (I’ve even got one with the Trackpoint, though given desktop space I prefer a trackball or serious tablet.)

I can work with my laptop’s keyboard… but prefer not to.

BTW, the right thing to do with Caps Lock on these is to remap it to something else. Under Windows, I’ve taken to making it the left Windows shift, for those rare occasions when I actually want that available. I haven’t yet remapped Scroll Lock, but that’s far enough out of the way that it hasn’t been an issue, and I haven’t felt a great need for another key in that location.

(I also have a few of the relatively rare blank and transparent keycap covers for the Model M. Haven’t used 'em recently, but for a while one of my machines really did have an “Any” key.)

Oh, and yeah – I definitely use the numeric keypad. I can touch-type numbers from the main keyboard, but for nontrivial amounts of numeric data entry touch-typing the numpad really is faster. If you don’t want it – if your computer use is all textual, or if you want a smaller laptop and can’t spare the physical space for it – that’s entirely reasonable, but if you’re using your machine for personal finances or any kind of data crunching you’re probably better off having it.

I take it you don’t play nethack?

1 Like

Solution: use chopsticks.

Nothing beats the Model M. I’ve tried, in vain, to acquire a Model M that actually works (I’ve had two recently, both had minor issues). It seems, from the above discussion, I should keep trying for the Model M nirvana … but in the meantime, I’m perfectly happy with my buckling spring Unicomp.

I don’t know what the big deal is about the Code keyboard. Ok, it’s neat to have the dip switches on the back, etc., but I’ve not used a Cherry clear keyboard - and I’m not going to spend ~$50 more than I spent on the aforementioned Unicomp to try it. I have tried a few other Cherry keyboards (blue, I believe?), but the buckling spring wins.

In fairness, the Unicomp isn’t exactly the Model M.

“The Sculpt has flat, Chiclet-style keys.”

(insert “how about no” bear jpg)

If Microsoft kills their Natural Ergonomic 4000 I’m going to have to stock up.

I want one but at $150 it’s too much.

That’s interesting, since we’re sold out and can’t obtain any more clear switches. Could you please forward the names of your switch distributors that have clear switches “by the bag”, because we’d love to buy a few hundred thousand of them?

Clear is roughly the same actuation force as blue, but – and this part is important – without the noise. The blues are quite loud. Not buckling spring loud, which is basically like firing a gun every time you press a key, but way louder than clear and brown.

However, if you want noise while typing, the original CODE run was definitely not for you. I find that for most people the noise does kinda matter unless they have the luxury of a private office.

That examination seems to conclude that it is not the Apple chicklet mini-keyboard, most of all, as @Medievalist noted. I don’t think that person is in the market for anything remotely mechanical.

As for some of the other comments, I’m curious why @anon18417063 says this is “just like the Das Keyboard” which isn’t even backlit, for starters… the details here really matter, so pay attention. And if you don’t think the details matter – this is not the product you’re looking for.

We are sold out of the first production run now, and It’s unlikely we’ll be able to get clear switches in any quantity at all for another year (unless we manage to find @polackio’s mythical distributor), so we’re going to be posting a poll soon to see what switch type people want next.

1 Like

OK, I’m a touch-typist so I’m biased… but I don’t see a significant advantage in backlit keys. If you can’t find your way around the keyboard without looking at it, the ergo ain’t right or you haven’t adjusted to it or both.

(My laptop does have a backlit keyboard. I groaned but bought it anyway)

The Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Tactile Action, Keyboard with brown switches (tactile but not so clicky) or blue switches (clicky as all get out).

I have the Ninja, which has the the characters printed on the front instead of the top of the keys.

Close, but that half-sized shift key on the left is a deal breaker for me. I guess you could say I’m nitpicking but why on earth would they compromise one of the most common keys to make room for two of the least common characters (the pipe and backslash)? I’d way rather a conventional (smaller) sized enter key and a full sized shift key.

I don’t understand why no one except Apple will make a completely regular keyboard minus the numpad. I’m guessing it all comes down to some master mold in China that all keyboards are cast from, that was originally made in like 1982, and no one but Apple will make a new one.

Love that Ninja keyboard:

There is an 87 key version of CODE, how is this not exactly a keyboard with the numpad lopped off?

1 Like

I have to agree. The left size shift is annoying as hell as that is the one I use most. I don’t think I even touch the right side shift - maybe I should try using it more.

Even though I am perfectly happy with my Filco Ninja Keyless (brown switches) I am hot for the 87-key code keyboard. Now, if the ESCAPE key came in a nice bright red colour that glowed due to the backlight… and it came in a UK layout… and I had any money…

if you’re into mechanicals (and it looks like it) you might want to go and see WASD keyboards. they basically tailor up your keyboard letting you customize the switches, keys color and what is written on the keys. so you can replicate the CODE one (except they don’t carry clear switches, only blue/red/brown/black) but with more customization. price is pretty much the same but you end up having your unique keyboard.

Hey Jeff, this thing seems pretty damn sweet. Although it seems that options for different grade switches would be good…

But you know what I reckon would be fucking super-awesome^2?

Just imagine it - being able to balance the bloody thing on your lap and type!

Having room on a tight desk for your mousepad without reaching left to type!

Being able to enter numbers easily without taking your hand off the mouse!

Not to mention how much the numpad craps all over WASD for gaming - so much so that I used to mouse left-handed for FPS.*

Please. I’d pay $200.

*Oh, and I made this:

4 Likes

That’s … Interesting. Have any major keyboard manufacturers done this before? If so, how have I not noticed?

Edit:

After googling, it seems to have been done a few times. Cool. It makes a lot of sense, too.

There is an 87 key version of CODE, how is this not exactly a
keyboard with the numpad lopped off?

Indeed and awesome! I just went to the website to order it but it says the site is under maintenance. Hoping it’ll be back up soon?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard.html

Not like my layout… they’re pretty much all ‘left-handed keyboards’ AFAICT, and move both groups of keys to the left, and most don’t even mirror the numpad, they just plonk it there the wrong way around (IMO the numbers shouldn’t be mirrored though). The only exception I could find was this, and it seems pretty crappy for the money, obviously related to the cheap wireless A4Tech I hacked above.

The only doppelganger for mine I came across was one of many proposals by some German dude.

1 Like