Coffee cups made from coffee grounds

But does said coffee place have a backyard where you can enjoy a nice drink and a murder mystery book in a corpse garden?

7 Likes

971079450-tumblr_me2d86gltc1ri1199o1_500

11 Likes

That ain’t gonna be enough.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Inclusively?

I see no downside to this sustainable/renewal concept.

4 Likes

So it’s a resin cup that uses coffee grounds as a binder as compared to sawdust or fiberglass. Now if you could make a biodegradable resin that could withstand moderate temperatures you could
make all the money.

6 Likes

Most of the coffee shops in this area actually give a small discount if you bring your own cup. It saves them either the cost of a disposable or the labor of cleaning a ceramic.

5 Likes

Check in with your local biochem grad-student to ask about the potential for turning any given plant-waste into polymers of some sort. Most compostable/ disposable flatware derives from corn, I believe. What could be done with leftover tea-leaves?

2 Likes

Interesting question, in all seriousness. Ignorant goyim here, and very curious about those parts of the dietary regulations. I’ve only ever heard about particular foods and very specific preparation practices being described as kosher or not; are there any regulations about the cookware or servingware?

I want to be sealed after embalming in lucite and made into a coffee table.

You get to feel part of the group.

10 Likes

For me - it’s porcelain for coffee. Accept no substitutes.

1 Like

I used one of these in a coffee shop in Berlin (the one with the cup and saucer). It’s a great idea, but they don’t retain heat very well (even in summer, when I tried it) and it feels like drinking out of plastic.

4 Likes

Not dissimilar to Jeremy Bentham:

I gotcha fam:

15 Likes

My garden cries out in anguish for all the not-composted coffee grounds this represents. My blueberry bushes would soooo kick these guys asses. I am firmly in the ceramic/earthenware for coffee crowd.

9 Likes

This is one of my favs. Porcelain with a cork sleeve. Got it from a kickstarter.

9 Likes

I’m no expert, but observant households have always had different sets of dishes and utensils for meat and dairy, and having duplicate sinks and large appliances seems to be a trend for those who can afford it. Kosher plastic wrap is a thing.

3 Likes

Maybe if you replace resin with thermoplast, PLA could be a good candidate? It’s food-safe and biodegrades into lactic acid.

3 Likes

Maybe Gunther von Hagens company could do it?

3 Likes

Per their website, the composite material is made from coffee grounds, biopolymers, starch, cellulose, wood, natural resins, waxes, and oils and is free from crude oil based binding agents.
Sounds biodegradable to me.

5 Likes

These are also a horrible idea for anyone who has food sensitive to coffee.

Why would someone with food sensitivities to coffee be drinking coffee, you ask? Short answer – we wouldn’t. But we do drink things like tea and hot chocolate, and if volatile chemicals can escape the resin (see faint smell of coffee), then they can leach into hot liquid. Again, for most people this isn’t a problem. But if these are the only cups an establishment has, depending on your level of sensitivity, you may never be able to go there.

Go somewhere else, you say. But if that is where your book club meets or your professional org has decided to go for an event, you have to forgo social or career opportunities, because somebody decided to be clever and greenwash their dishes (and yes, it’s really greenwashing, since – as was noted above – compost and reusable mugs are far more green than this bullshit).

4 Likes