Coffee makes you live longer? Don't believe the buzz

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/16/coffee-makes-you-live-longer.html

Well of course people who live longer drink more coffee. They have more mornings.

It’s not about the years in your coffee, it’s about the coffee in your years.

New study’s suggest not dying contributes to living longer… further funding is required for continued research …

I think you meant to say decreased mortality is positively correlated with longevity. In white mice, of course.

If I was you that is exactly what I would of said. :hugs:

I was tempted to drone on about that calhoun fellow and his blasted rats

tea, tea, tea…

While of course a couple of exploratory studies do not prove that coffee consumption increases life expectancy, there is something rather off about trying to counter these studies in a reputable medical journal with “compelling” articles in the New York Times and Forbes. Maybe Reader’s Digest and Highlights should be indexed at PubMed while we’re at it.

I’m a slow caffeine metabolizer. That wasn’t a problem when I was young, but the changes in sleep that happen as you get older mean that I can no longer have caffeine much after lunchtime without it messing up my sleep. (When I was younger, it tended to mean I could drink lots more coffee in the morning without it bothering me, which was a Good Thing, more or less.)

Actually having coffee makes people around me live longer.

“It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that the thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.”

maybe it’s not that coffee drinker live longer, maybe it’s that people that don’t shut up about coffee’s effect on your health are more prone to being fatally bludgeoned.

This.
I hate these kinds of “studies”. So I can have a cup or two and it won’t kill me. No shit.

beat me too it. :+1:

me having coffee in the morning increase other peoples life expectancy!

I’m still grappling with the logical leap people made from “Coffee isn’t as harmful as we thought” to “Coffee makes you live longer” that people were making.

“Coffee makes you live longer?”

Bossy coffee makes me get up every day!

I heard something recently about how the sex of the lab assistant that takes care of the mice can make a difference in how stressed they are and throw off the tests.

“They’ve been experimenting on you, I’m afraid.”

Irish Breakfast FTW. The blacker the better.

People in the old days thought coffee was a bad idea.

Yeah, I’m satisfied with the notion that coffee isn’t harmful so I don’t have to change my routine.