Eating chili peppers may increase lifespan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/eating-chili-peppers-may-increase-lifespan.html

3 Likes

So, no?

4 Likes

Score, hot wings are a health food now.

16 Likes

I love spicy food, regardless if there’s any health benefits or not. It just makes food better, however that insanely extra spicy magma hot chicken sandwich that i ate last week was just for fun and i’m pretty sure it took years off my lifespan :joy: totally worth it though i loved it.

18 Likes

Just a reminder that The Independent are the fine people who published this steaming pile of garbage…

14 Likes

Hmmm…eat more hot peppers =

Sounds about right :rofl:
But I love hot peppers, so will assume this is true and is helping counteract all my bad habits.

14 Likes

I think the likeliest causal relationship is that healthy and tough people are willing to endure the pain of spicy food, and will live longer anyway, while sickly folk look for comfort foods.

10 Likes

Assuming that the media is correctly interpreting and conveying the actual implications of the research (and they almost never are), how many days until an equally valid study finding the opposite effect?

8 Likes

The chili peppers will be a welcome addition to my coffee/chocolate/red-wine/fish-oil/CBD smoothie.

11 Likes

Take everything out except the chocolate and maybe the coffee, and it should be palatable.

I couldn’t say if CBD works with chillies because Britain is still prohibitionist.

4 Likes

My friend’s taste buds were shot off in the war so he made jalapeño tarts and waffles. Alas, he died young, so it didn’t work.

2 Likes

Chillies are comfort foods!

16 Likes

I was wondering if it could be correlated at all to the Ayurvedic school of thought. I don’t know much, but as a friend described it a while ago, there are three main “types” - Kaffa (earth/water), Pita (fire) and Vata (air) with corresponding food preferences. We all have bits of all three, but one or two generally dominate.
She was all into using the theory to help people balance themselves out. So I’d be a Pita/Vata, generally liking fiery (pita) and airy (Vata) foods, think hot spicy stuff and dry crunchy stuff, respectively. If I was “out of balance” she’d prescribe ice cream and avocados and other Kaffa foods.
So I wonder if Pitas are generally longer lived.
(As I said, I don’t know much, and I know it sounds wacky, but it’s always fun to contemplate correlation. I still love that old graph showing how global warming led to an increase in pirates on the high seas ;))

2 Likes

My Simpsons and Life in Hell calendars both note International Hot & Spicy Food Day on January 16. But at our house, it’s any day ending in “y”.

The apple has not fallen far from the tree, and when our older kid cooks up his own dinner (e.g. refried beans), it’s always effectively blackened (whether he meant to or not) e.g. with Old Bay or Tony Chachere’s, and doused with Crystal.

(Insert “whynotboth” meme)
@LDoBe I take it you’ve never tried chipotle-gouda mac & cheese, then? :wink:

10 Likes

[makes Homer Simpson gurgling sound…]

7 Likes

… and provide a reason for living.

We had a dog that we tried to train with spiced water in a spray bottle.
He ate the bottle.

13 Likes

Have to say I like it out there in the fiery end of things these days, and have found that - like many drugs - one’s tolerance goes up over the years.

Also fun: the far end, where if one eats enough of it, one can see through time. Which is to say I have caught a distinct buzz from the heat alone in my day. Capsaicin triggering endorphin flood, and all.

6 Likes

The most recent super spicy thing I had was a Nashville hot chicken sandwich. The place I get it at is great but their spiciest offering was lacking, but I recently noticed on their website that you can order a secret super spicy one. I ordered it for fun and I made it halfway through very unimpressed, and then my face was suddenly napalmed by fiery angry bees. It was awful… And I’m totally ordering it again next time :joy:

13 Likes

Eating pork pies just as well MAY increase lifespan.

5 Likes

This doesn’t bode well for the lifespans of chili peppers.

8 Likes