Eating chili peppers may increase lifespan

Yeah, I’ve been doing single serving kraft dinner cups, and adding in obscene amounts of sriracha and pickled Jalapeños lately.

3 Likes

But how do the chilli plants reproduce otherwise?

5 Likes

Will somebody please think of the chili peppers?

9 Likes

When a mommy chili and a daddy chili love each other very much, they send out stork vibes.

A stork promptly eats them both, and that is how baby storks are made. At least, that’s what I learned in school.

9 Likes

Close enough.

7 Likes

True story. I bought a jar of Mezetta habañero peppers and ate one with a sandwich. It didn’t seem too hot. Then I stood up and passed out. Good stuff! Cheap high!

Did that lengthen my life? Quien sabe, who knows?

7 Likes

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, there’s also Five Element theory from China, and Traditional Chinese Medicine which replaces Ayurvedic “akasha” (Ether or space) with “Metal” (or “Gold” which makes for some weird translations). And there’s Classic European four element theory. All of which simultaneously encourage me to believe that while recorded, systematic studies of phenomenon brings lots of useful knowledge, they’re also all beat by the Scientific Method and hypotheses from modern biology. Although Big Pharma has been putting that to the test in recent years, IMHO. So, though it would be easy to reference TCM theories of “hot”, spicy food, and/or dismiss these latest reports as so vague and unfocused as to be worse than useless, I’m just going to eat another sugared ginger slice. Peppers could encourage anger and argumentation!

6 Likes

helluva shot! I’d like to meet the person who fired the bullet that did that!

@Hypoxia taste buds were shot off in the war
@C_D I’d like to meet the person who fired the bullet that did that!

It was Tom Lehrer, or at least he knows who it was… :grin:

4 Likes

all of this!
I am a pepperhead and I totally agree there is a distinct - if short lived - rush and buzz!
also to the tolerance issue, yup! one progresses past hot jalapenos quickly, serranos were lovely, the red chilies and habaneros, fresh of the bush are about where I’m currently leveling off, but the Peruvian aji peppers are finally ripening and are proving to be mini fire bombs that really wallop those endorphins! w00t!
(I’m flying/ frying right now!)

I grows 'em all m’se’f! wheeee!

10 Likes

Very most excellent!

3 Likes

Some peppers, or preparations thereof – for example, mitmita – will burn twice.

3 Likes

With that concoction, I’d recommend cayenne. Nice middle-of-the road pepper.

Our household levels out at Scotch Bonnet. We’ve grown everything hotter except Reaper, but the flavor above the Bonnet is too smoky for a really tasty every-day hot sauce.

4 Likes

I call BS on that. I love spicy food, by which I mean I actively enjoy eating it and don’t find it “pain” I have to “endure”. I seek out spiciness. If I wanted to endure my food, I’d choose a bland diet that had no flavor to distract me from the food turning to mush in my mouth.

My idea of a comfort food is a warm pepper pot on a cold day.

Not even getting into the artificial distinction between healthy and sickly either, as if healthiness and sickliness apply to all parts of a person and never vary over their lifetime.

Leave out the fish oil and we’re good. It’s basically hot chocolate but with red wine and some drops of cbd oil. Reduce a dark, fruity red wine into the hot chocolate and it will work. I never make hot chocolate without coffee or hot peppers anyway.

I used to grow Scotch Bonnets. I love the smoky, slightly sweet overtones. They are easily as hot as habaneros, but don’t taste like straight up heat. They’re a bit more complex, so I use them in jerk seasoning and in hot sauce. I don’t use them in gumbo because they’re too confusing and fight against the dry heat of everything else, but they are great in foods that are sweet and hot at the same time.

4 Likes

Oh my GERD!

I suffer severe acid reflux, so ya’all are welcome to take the peppers from my plate. :hot_pepper:

4 Likes

I guess I’m a foreigners idea of a Southern American. I like sweet, salty, and fat. I don’t do hot or spicy, and vinegar is really only used for bbq. I eat honey like a lot of people eat hot sauce.
I don’t find it bland because hot things just taste hot. I think I’m sensitive to “hot” while I’m numb to sweet.

3 Likes

My mom tried the Tabasco-sauce-under-the-fingernails trick to get me to stop biting my nails when I was 7 or 8. I just treated it like a condiment and asked for the bottle.

This was the '70s, before the hot sauce & chilli revolution of the '90s, at least in my neck of the woods. Today I have a sauce (Mad Dog 357?) that I fear. I don’t know why I keep it. Novelty factor, I guess.

2 Likes

I get this quite reliably from certain Korean spicy noodles :yum:

4 Likes

It would certainly seem like my life was longer. Pain does that.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t want to live longer anyway. Someone pass me the donuts.

2 Likes