Cohen says he has information about Trump conspiring with Russia to corrupt American democracy

I’d been under the impression that there was a tacit understanding between Clinton and Trump that Trump would run, lose, then continue on his merry reality-TV way. The Clintons and Trump have hobnobbed in the past. In that context, the fact that their staff might overlap to a degree makes a certain sense.

2 Likes

LnTHsr

1 Like

The mantra will continue to be “no collusion” by Trump and all his sycophants (Hannity was chanting it last night on a particularly desperate-sounding rant), I wonder if this is a deliberate tactic, like some form of hypnotism to make it seep into the popular consciousness.

4 Likes

Inmate Jenny?

3 Likes

Noooooooooooooooooo!

9 Likes

He could be of value helping sort through and understand that.

But how much knowledge do you have that isn’t written down anywhere? Especially for things where you’re not directly involved? Think of the conversation where some Russian contact was discussed, or the name of the guy who was the go-between for the campaign and Russian intelligence. Cohen would have picked up a lot of office gossip for things he wasn’t actually working on.

Things like that probably aren’t written down, but would be extremely valuable to Mueller.

2 Likes

Translation: “Cohen threatens Trump in attempt to extract pardon.”

I have trouble believing that any of this is going to get Trump out of office early. His approval rating among Republicans is in the high 80’s, and the chance that 10+ Republican Senators will turn on him is zero. Nixon would have served a full term if he had Fox News. Please, convince me I’m wrong.

1 Like

Is this what you mean?

3 Likes
7 Likes

Cohen is charged with tax fraud, false statements to banks and campaign finance violations. And he secretly records his clients. ‘Not very lawyerly’ my grandmother would say. However, attorney-client privilege is waived if a client reveals a plan for a future crime. So there you are.

1 Like

The Russians would love an impeachment, though. They didn’t support Trump because they believe in his policy priorities - they supported Trump because they want chaos. When someone comes a-knockin’ and points out some terrible thing about Putin’s strongman tactics, they want to be able to point to America and say, “Well look at the mess that is democracy in the US! You don’t want that here, do you?”
I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the final impeachment coffin nail be some incriminating evidence leaked by Russia - or even announced by Putin on camera - “I have recently learned that Yegor Scapegoatanov did collude with Trump. I, of course, had no idea this was happening, but I do have this conclusive video evidence. And a pee tape. Let’s all watch it now.”

3 Likes

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.”

—Kosh Naranek

2 Likes

That is an excellent point. Of course, the Lewinsky thing did not turn out great for WJC.

2 Likes

In the same way that there’s no floor to the depths to which Trump can sink, it feels like it’s all tipping points (that never actually cause any tipping). It’s like perpetually being on the edge of a sneeze that never comes.

2 Likes

That is what my wife has been saying, since before the election. And the misjudgment by the HRC campaign was not that DJT was a better candidate than expected, but that the HRC people underestimated how reviled she is in some circles.

4 Likes

Pretty sure that verbal corroboration from a live source is what legal minds call “icing on the cake”.

Yes, or perpetually falling down stairs that never end.

5 Likes

I’m sure they’d enjoy it while it lasted but impeachment could signal the beginning of the end of that chaos.

1 Like

Been waiting to use this one. This seems an appropriate place…

2 Likes

Our president seems to be as untippable as every other inflatable clown.

1 Like