Colbert's hysterical recap of Trump's out-of-touch moments at Bush's funeral

Then they demonstrably failed, since they exposed him to (more) ridicule. There is more dimensions of safety than mere physical security.

1 Like

The secret service’s job of protecting Trump from people that would like him dead is difficult enough. Protecting him from ridicule is truly impossible.

17 Likes

Especially when he freely gives his critics so much material to work with, perpetually.

11 Likes

Marylin Quayle was reciting it and she’s Presbyterian. Of course, maybe they don’t and she’s just being – I don’t know – polite? – I’m not Jewish but I wear a yarmalke when I go to a Bar Mitzvah because I’m polite. Ugh.

2 Likes

Most mainstream Western churches use the Apostolic Creed, including the various Reformed churchs, ie. Presbyterians. It’s one of the ecumenical creeds, after all.

1 Like

fair point, but I have my doubts that they’re even trying anymore

2 Likes

I do wonder, when he was zoning out, was he picturing his own state funeral?

3 Likes

Betcha Melania sure was.

15 Likes

“The greatest ever! Bigger crowd than Lincoln! … wait …”

5 Likes

Trump is supposedly an evangelical Christian who “loves the Bible”. He, of all people, should be extremely enthusiastic about reading it out loud. Unless he can’t read or just doesn’t give a shit.

I mean, when I was going through Confirmation in my church, we went to a synagogue and participated in service there. Whatever flavor of Christian Trump supposedly is, the Apostle’s Creed is very well known.

11 Likes

I’ve always thought Trump was a perfect fit for the televangelist set… if they’re vulnerable to one then they’re vulnerable to both because there’s not much difference. Prosperity gospel or whatever, Trump’s message is the same: give me all you have and you’ll be blessed and rich one day. So given how many of those types infest religion in the US, and given how they’re basically con-men, thieves, and tolerated criminals, then I totally see why they’d push hard for one of their own for President. Trump is definitely of their ilk and they come pre-packaged with a gullible, self-destructive, lost bunch of people who are proven fools.

14 Likes

Pest. The missing word is pest.

2 Likes

Trump’s behavior aside, wearing a yarmulke is a lot different from reciting a creed that declares, in exacting detail, just how much and what kind of a Christian you are.

No Jewish person is going to declare Christ the savior, out of politeness; in the same way, no Christian is going to declare that Christ is not the savior.

1 Like

*sighs

It doesn’t matter about Jewish people not reading the Creed; 45 ain’t Jewish… or Muslim, or any other denomination with a valid reason for not participating in the recitation.

He’s allegedly some brand of Xtian; so that excuse doesn’t hold water, and it’s actually off topic.

8 Likes

Mmph. There’s a big difference between a surprise walk and one that’s going to be at a carefully scheduled time and path known in advance.

The first is a light perimeter security problem, where you can cycle through all the locations watching for anyone lingering hours/days waiting for a chance. For the second, you have to check and clear all those locations at the same time. (It’ll be more complicated than that, of course.)

1 Like

Yes, a millions times this. The guy behind the pulpit shouting he has all the answers to the problems that mere mortals are unable to solve. The illusion of an answer is more appealing than no answer.

4 Likes

tumblr_pidnchcUUj1rhs4ze_540

6 Likes

Really, the content of the Creed shouldn’t be an offensive statement to make for anyone who professes belief that Jesus is the son of God. So the fact that Dolt-45 didn’t recite it opens up some questions for Colbert (who, as I recall, is an observant Catholic).

First, Il Douche spends a lot of his time pandering to Xtianists and suggesting that, unlike himself, Dems are godless heathens. This makes the contrast between him and the Obamas and Clintons and Carter amusing.

Or perhaps it’s less about his not reading the Creed than suggesting that he might be unable to read it, period. The Creed might be a genuinely challenging piece for someone plausibly suspected of being illiterate or aliterate to read and recite out loud.

8 Likes

I don’t think he believe he will die.

1 Like

The motorcade generally leaves from the North side though. And, at least, they can pick and choose which entrance they want to leave by. They could have left from the press entrance at the NW corner (I’ve seen them do it before) and have been literally right there.

Also, using the motorcade Maximizes the disruption of traffic anywhere it goes. The motorcycle cops show up 4-5 minutes before the motorcade does, and linger for a while after. It blocks or stops traffic in both directions wherever it’s going for however long it takes to get there. I’ve been on Constitution Ave when the motorcade crossed it on 15th, and it took 10 minutes at least to clear out the mess it caused because all the lights are timed and traffic backed up all the way to Rt 66.

Using it to go around the block is a colossal waste of taxpayer money and time, and only makes the head of the SS feel better about himself, as though the president weren’t under surveillance and surrounded by armed guards 24/7 AND as though Lafayette park weren’t swarming with 85% SS personnel already.

1 Like