Episcopal Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde denounces Trump’s abuse of St. John's Church as a prop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/01/episcopal-bishop-denounces-tru.html

“I am outraged.”

11 Likes

I doubt it was a real Bible anyway. If it had been he would have been terribly burned just by touching it.

49 Likes

My thoughts, exactly.

19 Likes
47 Likes

He has to use props because he is never wrong or has sinned.

18 Likes

sadly that’s not an Onion article

22 Likes

“I assure you I have led a life free of sin. If you don’t believe me just ask any of my three wives or dozens of mistresses.”

36 Likes

Mein Kash.

13 Likes

Motherfucker didn’t even do anything with that bible besides hold it up. Even if it’s a real one, it’s literally nothing but a prop to him. It’s a shibboleth for his rabid death cult evangelical shitweasels to go nuts over.

42 Likes

Maybe they can excommunicate him. Pretty sure it’s not an Episcopal church thing, but it’s worth a try, right?

7 Likes

I hope those service members that attacked peaceful protesters are happy with their actions like a good lap dog.

13 Likes

I was raised Episcopalian and I still have no idea what the hell the difference was from any other version of Christianity except a couple little things.

I am not religious at all now but hell, I might just donate to the Episcopal church if someone excommunicates his warmongering orange ass!

I can tell you this- I may not be religious and probably never was it was just my upbringing but I do know damn well in my case what the Jesus I learned about stood for and Trump is pretty much the exact opposite of everything Jesus considered decent and godly

People like Trump using religion in the way he does is the main reason I found it all a joke and purposely removed myself from it.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but thank God for this Bishop, and this is coming from a man that regularly loves listening to anti Christian black metal.

Funny how our reality is reverse.

BTW- Francis, the Pope? Dude is solid, he hasn’t done the greatest job about dealing with child sex scandals but other than that the man acts humble, and christlike. He preaches peace and help for the poor and underprivileged. Kind of the opposite of Trump in every way

15 Likes

I feel for the Bishop Budde. She said she’s had to answer irate phone calls and emails from her parishioners over this Trump stunt.

Also, he’s not Episcopalian. He constantly tells people that he’s “Christian.” An Episcopalian would use Episcopalian* rather than use Christian to describe their beliefs. His mom is Scottish, so maybe he was raised Presbyterian. I think he uses “Christian” to appeal to a particular group of people.

(*source: raised Episcopalian)

18 Likes

I believe the only instance of Trump cherishing reading material in his free time is the time Ms. Stormy Daniels spanked his ass with a a copy of Forbes.

6 Likes

The look on his face is either “something in this book says its ok to smite the wicked with force” or “this is what I’m about to use as toliet paper because I wipe my ass with your decency for a living”, both of which shows he’s a piece of garbage.

In any case, both ways, it still looks like he’s uncomfortably shitting his pants on camera and being forced to bake in it

6 Likes
25 Likes

5 Likes

Everything about this was so grotesque and farcical - there’s Trump, having had a peaceful protest illegally cleared with violence, using a church as a photo op backdrop without permission, awkwardly standing there holding a Bible like he’d never held a book before. (Which is probably true…) And this was his alternative to making a public statement about the current situation. Because his own staff clearly didn’t trust him to make a statement without making things worse.

Well, he was holding the fucking thing upside down… (Satanic Bible?)

14 Likes

Nah, that would be too cool.

14 Likes
32 Likes