Episcopal Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde denounces Trump’s abuse of St. John's Church as a prop

Is it time for the guillotines yet? I’m not being facetious.

4 Likes

When asked by the press if it was his Bible all he could say was that it was a Bible.

I mean, FFS he couldn’t have been given one that at least looked like it had been actually used and not fresh out of the drawer of a Trump hotel room?

19 Likes

Well, “Satanic” in the boring, traditional, Christian (non-)sense of “inverse of Christian practices/beliefs.” Because that pretty much encapsulated Trump.

Holy shit. Of course they did.

It was just part of the unbelievable awkward stupidity of it all. I remain surprised at my continuing ability to be surprised by how incompetent he is.

15 Likes

Yeah, you’re right. I’m pretty sure Trump only worships himself. Or maybe Putin. But for sure he’s not an Episcopalian or any other denomination of any religion, Christian or otherwise.

6 Likes

I mean, seriously - he walks through an empty park to the church, stands there for a minute posing awkwardly while holding a Bible, and … then walks back to the White House?

Here’s what he doesn’t do:

• Look at all concerned or upset
  • Display any emotion
  • Make any remarks
  • Talk to anybody from the church
  • Do some token Christian act like say or lead a prayer
  • Show any interest for the destruction surrounding him
  • Talk to any protesters, protest leaders, community leaders, or even the mayor.

Remember: this was mere minutes after he called himself an “ally for peaceful protest”.

He just poses … and that’s it. It was absolutely pathetic.

There were so many missed opportunities here and he showed just what a coward he is. Real leadership and courage would have been to walk up to the crowd and talk to them. Instead he had the whole area violently cleared of peaceful demonstrators all so he could pose in front of a boarded up building on a empty street while holding a book he’s never read (at least not the second half).

30 Likes

Yeah, no, he sure as shit didn’t walk across the street.

4 Likes

He actually did. Can you imagine how much shit he would have caught if he took a fucking motorcade there?

(For those of you that don’t know DC geography, it’s barely a 5 minute walk from the WH north gate.)

10 Likes

The correct caption for the picture attached to this post is:

I have no idea what I am doing.

1 Like

All those years twisting Bible passages to support greed and the more recent decades of slowly, patiently weaponizing religion for political purposes, are really paying off now for both the religious right and the hijacked Republican Party. Meanwhile, the faithful have no idea that they are being used.

4 Likes

You can get excommunicated from the Anglican communion (which the Episcopal church is a member of), but it is very difficult. Not that it matters in this case, Trump is nominally a Presbyterian.

7 Likes

Oi! Church and State! Haven’t you heard there’s a terrible Trump Virus going around?! Practice Theo-political Distancing!

5 Likes
2 Likes

Surprise!

14 Likes

The Hitler image above seems to be faked. I know Trump emulates him in a lot of ways, but one of their tools is the Big Lie.

14 Likes

Fake, maybe, but absolutely accurate in portraying the similarities between the two.

5 Likes

9 Likes

Trump’s idea of Christianity:

5 Likes

Joel Osteen, Paula White, John Burns, Robert Jeffress Jr., Wm F Graham, Jerry Falwell Jr., Jim Bakker, Kenneth Copeland…

oh, and Jim Jones.

10 Likes

Agreed, but fake news and false history is one of the reasons we’re in this mess.

7 Likes

Trump wouldn’t care. I’d guess the only praying he’s done in the past couple years is for his tee shot to stay on the fairway.

Now if Pence were scolded by his priest (or even barred from attending services at his usual church) for his participation in the Trump administration’s “management” of this crisis, that might motivate him to some sort of action.

1 Like