A humorous comparison of Trump and Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/07/a-humorous-comparison-of-trump.html

3 Likes

Obama was far from perfect, but…damn…I miss how articulate, intelligent, and even handed he was.

29 Likes

I think, for a moment there, I felt a little anger and resentment towards Obama simply because watching him reminded me how a statesman acts.

It’s really that bad.

I’m not proud of this. I’m quite ashamed. But we’ve come to a point where someone acting in a statesmanlike manner can make people feel bad because it reminds them of… better times. Better people.

:cry:

16 Likes

I can’t be alone in finding this video not particularly humorous…

26 Likes

He’s not a Christian. During the Bush Sr funeral, while the other former presidents and first ladies read the Apostle’s Creed (they had a hand out to read from) the Trumps just stood there. If you attended church regularly you can’t help but mouth the words if you know it - but they couldn’t be bothered to read from the paper.

When asked what his favorite bible verse was, even a non-religious person could pick out John 3:16. He said he didn’t want to get into it., even though he read the bible many times.

Meanwhile, watch the “muslim” Obama sing Amazing Grace at the Rev. Pinckney Eulogy.

Trump is not a Christian.

20 Likes

Not really humorous, more like depressing to see how far we have fallen in such few years.

12 Likes

But he’s white (at least, we assume that’s the color under all the orange) so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

13 Likes

Not all Christians use the Apostolic Creed, but Presbyterians do (Trump’s claimed affiliation)

10 Likes

He’s a Mammon-worshiper.

And like @Mister44 mentioned, there was a handout that people unfamiliar with it could use. Of course, Trump’s either functionally illiterate, or too vain to use reading glasses, or possibly both, so it wouldn’t have helped…

20 Likes

That is some of what conservatives hate about the man.

“Finger wagging”, “High and mighty”, “Elitist”

There’s a thread of anti-establishment and anti-intellectualism which runs through American conservatism. It is an odd thing when you get into internet slap fights, where a conservative tries to make the point that they are right on an issue because they are an idiot, and you are wrong because you are smart and educated.

I truly do wonder how a liberal, progressive candidate can engage with these sorts of personalities.

20 Likes

Sometimes Trump forgets that he’s not always speaking at one of his rallies to his hand picked, foaming at the mouth supporters.

4 Likes

A humorous depressing comparison of Trump and Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast

15 Likes

“And the great first lady and I were there, reading along, because we know the Apollo Creed better than anybody…”

14 Likes

I hate to think what they would think of real Jesus (rather than American Jeesus).

14 Likes

I don’t think he forgets, I think those are the only people he ever speaks to. They’re literally the only people he cares about in the country. Anyone else is, to use the phrasing of the day, a “non-person.”

3 Likes

20 Likes

what surprise - narcissistic petty baby man is a narcissistic petty baby.

4 Likes

I don’t blame him for not being Christian (I’m not either). I’d probably just be standing there, too. I do blame him for his utter lack of sympathy towards other human beings and his lack of introspection into the harm he is causing to the world.

5 Likes

The Nicene Creed is VERY similar, though. You’d still get most of the phrases right.

8 Likes

Yes, but you’re not pretending to be Christian for political reasons. :slight_smile: Or being supported by a lot of Christians despite being blatantly un-Christlike in every possible way.

17 Likes