Colin Powell endorses Hillary Clinton

My first thought was “Well, he is starting to look a little leathery…”

8 Likes

That’ll getcha some promotions!

You and your conspiracy facts! You’re a conspiracy fact-ist!

10 Likes

This only makes me stronger.

18 Likes

Victory is mine.

14 Likes

I still hear the sound of ripping up a bathmat just thinking about it.

2 Likes

Good. I’m not surprised.

Start measuring the drapes, Hillary.

4 Likes

I’d say there is little to no meaningful difference between those things.

5 Likes

Powell has switched camps awhile ago, IIRC. I guess not officially, but he endorsed Obama twice.

When asked why he is still a Republican on Meet the Press he said, “I’m still a Republican. And I think the Republican Party needs me more than the Democratic Party needs me. And you can be a Republican and still feel strongly about issues such as immigration, and improving our education system, and doing something about some of the social problems that exist in our society and our country. I don’t think there’s anything inconsistent with this.”

1 Like

Yeah, some days I’m not sure if I’m reading the Washington Post or the Onion.

4 Likes

Warren Harding was pretty bad too, at least as a president. Worst is a high bar. Trump is the worst one in modern times, but before claiming “of all time” we need to take a pretty serious look…

(Also I’m assuming you mean “up to now”, because “all time” technically includes the future…)

He has one of his own (as do I).

Its pretty simple: apt-get install exim4 will get you going.

Trump is the worst one in modern times, but before claiming “[worst major party presidential candidate] of all time” we need to take a pretty serious look…

I think that could make a fascinating article, if we could find somebody with the political history chops to write such a thing.

Edit: Er… I mean, “who was the worst major party presidential candidate of all time”. Not an article which would necessarily conclude that it was Trump. (There must be some other fascinatingly awful contenders, I’d imagine? Particularly when viewed with modern sensibilities.)

2 Likes

So I’ve been doing some research, and have been having trouble finding really properly unpleasant major party presidential candidates from history. Plenty of stupid ones. Plenty of corrupt ones. But actively unpleasant? That’s harder.

I mean, I’d love to tell you about Strom Thurmond, who ran for President on a platform of “Segregation Forever” in 1948. But technically, he wasn’t actually running as a Democrat in that race. Instead, he was running as the candidate for a splinter group of Democrats who weren’t happy with the progressive policies of the Democratic party’s official candidate, Harry Truman. They called themselves “Dixiecrats”, and his campaign was every bit as visibly intolerant and racist as you imagine it must have been, based upon the platform. Thurmond won 4 states. 39 electoral votes.

But he doesn’t really count for this question. Not actually a Democrat Party candidate, even if he considered himself to be one, and even though the Dixiecrat party dissolved back into the Democrats immediately after the 1948 election attempt.

But he’s the most unpleasant I’ve got. Anybody have somebody worse? (And preferably actually on a major party ticket, in their time?)

2 Likes

(I know. Ironic, isn’t it?)

I see and eat what you did there.

2 Likes

The digital equivalent of name-calling. Bye.

She probably already knows the drape dimensions.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.