Collapsible wooden seat parametrically designed via implicit programming

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/27/collapsible-wooden-seat-parame.html

1 Like

Or, you could have just put one leg on the back of the thing.

2 Likes

How dare you question the computer’s design! It was done parametrically! With implicit programming!

6 Likes

“… turns a stool into a kinetic object to shape new dynamic spaces” is a really pretentious way of saying “it’s a folding stool.”

8 Likes

Yes, and many other buzzwords, I’m sure. Lol.

This is the age of self-indulgent computing.

2 Likes

I dig it, it’s beautiful… I think we got this folding chair thing down though; they’re lighter, stackable and can be leaned against a wall… Not as pretty, but very functional.

3 Likes

That’s what the towel is for.

5 Likes

The text says the design is open source, but the video mentions patented design. Aren’t those mutually exclusive? Otherwise, it does look like a nice design that seems to conform to the sitter’s posterior, which might be more comfy than a cheap metal folding chair.

2 Likes

I think the novel design of the little hinge/interlocking bits are what was patented, but if the designer is the patent owner they can do whatever they want with it. Lots of pieces like this are made as portfolio pieces for the publicity or prestige of a design firm and not necessarily for profit-- “Check it out, we developed bespoke computer methods and a unique hinge system for a stool we’re giving away the plans for. Just think of what we could do if you commissioned us for actual money!” Chairs and stools are popular signature pieces for designers because they’re relatively simple, relatively cheap, easy to work with, and offer a huge blank canvas for style choices. Seriously, designers go nuts for things that fit butts.

3 Likes

I was into implicit parametric programming before it was cool. Back then we called it artisanal.

4 Likes

Probably “designed open source with fine print,” indicating the project leader’s right to claim patent whenever they landed on something sufficiently marketable…

Parametric modeling allows the artist to construct a model in terms of geometric relationships, and define the exact dimensions later. It’s very cool, but the feature is not exactly common in CAD programs-- perhaps because most CAD programmers don’t think that way.

Sure, it’s just furniture today, but with just a few actuators, some sensors, a networked microcontroller, and a few DoD grants, you’ve got yourself a killer robot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.