Collection of unusual and stylistic Croatian animated films now on YouTube

Originally published at: Collection of unusual and stylistic Croatian animated films now on YouTube | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So this is Yugoslav era animation? Cool!

5 Likes

When I was a kid in the 1970’s there used to be 5 minute long cartoons shown between programmes on Saturdays or Sundays. I’m pretty sure they were Polish.
I can’t really remember the details except that they were really weird and fascinating (and my Dad told me they were made by communists, so that was scary and cool too).
Also Yugoslavia was a lot of fun in the 1980’s. My friend and I held the rifles of some soldiers while they lit their cigarettes on a train to the beach near Split. Nice guys.

5 Likes

Oh - this brings back memories. These were quite frequently shown on various TV channels in / around Belgium in the 70s.

2 Likes

Many of them are quite ominous and atmospheric. Check out this version of Masque of the Red Death:

2 Likes

Proustian rush from this remembering 1970’s/80 BBC strikes and Yugoslav animation to fill the gaps in kids broadcasting.

This time The Simpsons came after.

Yugoslavia was probably the best of the Communist countries for several reasons. First, Tito broke with Stalin and actually used this freedom to make things less authoritarian (as opposed to Romania and Albania who also split with Moscow only to degenerate into personality cults akin to North Korea’s. Secondly, unlike any other Communist country. Yugoslavia allowed (and even encouraged) its population to go abroad and work rather than locking them in. Tito knew that most of the people just wanted to work abroad for a few years to build up savings (in hard currency) that they could take back to Yugoslavia and which would eventually make its way into government coffers. But still, it was a type of personality cult if a somewhat benign one. Tito held it together and when he was gone in 1980 there was nothing to stop the rise of various nationalisms in the rather arbitrarily constructed country.

4 Likes

I work with a Croatian lady who emigrated here with her husband in 1989. she has fond memories of being a communist.
Her family used to go ski-ing in Hungary in the winter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.