College professor caught on video telling couple to "go back to your home country"

TBH, most of the things I can invent don’t seem too likely.

1 Like

Reminds me of watching this lady slow down her car, roll down her window just to yell at a couple of indian students to go back to their country as I was walking out of a Jack in the Box. I was sorely tempted to throw my milkshake in my hand at her car but settled on flipping her the finger. The two guys thanked me for it and that was that. Irvine, CA is pretty damn conservative.

3 Likes

I agree with the intent of his OP, though. Employee action reviews should be done with a more judicious eye than the internet generally fosters. I didn’t get the sense that he was making a comment on whether this particular circumstance merits dismissal, rather questioning the wisdom of this attitude in general. That having been said, I definitely find myself in the hyperbolically reactive camp more often than not.

12 Likes

Teachers actions are absolutely held to internal standards. The video speaks for itself, but hey of you want to defend miss “go back to your country” then that’s your prerogative and I have nothing to add to the conversation

10 Likes

Absolutely; but if an incident like this ends up in someone’s work record along with physical proof of their unacceptable behavior, any company seeking to limit its legal liability and/or protect their ‘brand’ would be wise to cut ties with such an employee.

14 Likes

I agree… Vertical Video should be grounds for immediate deportation.

3 Likes

I live in Finland. I have a friend who moved years ago from Netherlands to Finland. After staying here for ~4 years he did learn enough Finnish to start using it instead of English (nearly everyone here understands English quite well) in everyday communication. But it’s nearly impossible to speak Finnish perfectly so you could hear that my friend wasn’t a native Finnish speaker.

Once I was helping him to carry some stuff in his home. While going there we passed a by a local pub. We were discussing about something in Finnish and some old drunken guy sitting outside the pub said to my friend: “go back to your home country, you Estonians”.

I said something snarky back but we continued our way without slowing down. Estonian sounds a bit like broken Finnish and we have quite a lot of Estonians in Finland so the mix up is quite common. However my friend was quite badly offended what the guy said. This bothered him especially because it happened in his home neighborhood. He really couldn’t understand why the old drunk would have a right to question his right of living in Finland while working and paying good amount of taxes. He complained about the incident during the next couple hours so the drunk really did hit quite sensitive spot.

This happened couple of years ago but sadly three months ago the drunk’s wishes came true and my friend moved back to Netherlands due family issues.

13 Likes

Why would internet commentators come into it? All they have to do is watch the video, not read the comments from you or me.

6 Likes

“Look, I just happen to think white people are preferable—‘superior,’ if you will—and would prefer if non-white people went away or were at least afforded fewer rights. What’s so racist about that??

20 Likes

Or just create an ethical, non-hostile work environment. Unfortunately, I fear the motivation for most employers is more along the lines of what you point out. Perhaps I don’t give people enough credit. As Marc Anthony said, “The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones.” So it is with my commenting…

5 Likes

I thought Shakespeare said that.

8 Likes

Such a thing actually exists?!?

I’ve never seen one yet; not in all my 23 years worth of legal employment, sad to say…

6 Likes

I’ve seen one. Just the one. My fiancee works for a wilderness education school that is doing absolutely incredible things both in the field and in the office. It requires constant self-examination, but it’s truly wonderful to see.

8 Likes

15 Likes

For real. I was going to cut her a little slack until she said that.

5 Likes

She’s been teaching there for 25 years. I don’t know if she has tenure or not, if she does then there are structural protections to make sure that termination is coupled with due process. Even if not, she has earned some right to due process thanks to her long record.

If this was not the case, the right-wing anti-professor hate machine would have a field day clearing out university faculty.

I’m not sure why anyone wants academic employers to emulate the terrible anti-labor processes found in other market sectors.

13 Likes

The twist was that if they got on the right plane it would land back in America in the good dimension, not the evil one.

(the double twist is I totally don’t believe in the first twist)

5 Likes

It seems fair that the college give her a chance to explain what this context is that makes the comments non-racist. Like you say, it’s pretty unimaginable. Odds are whatever she says is going to make her sound more racist rather than less.

17 Likes

Interestingly enough, while I live in the Netherlands for a few years, we repeatedly encountered folks who recommended that we also should return to our home country. Every area has its nationalists, and it is NEVER OK.

13 Likes

She has a right to due process via an employment review regardless to how long she’s been there.

I’m only addressing the employer’s motivation which is self interest; chances are good that she will be reprimanded if not outright terminated.

If they decide to fire her, it won’t be simply for being a bigot; but instead because freely letting everyone else know that she’s a bigot reflects badly upon them, and that makes her a liability.

12 Likes