Colorado court rules: Trump can't run in 2024 election

I live in the US and I’ve never heard of a quorum requirement for laws that states decide for themselves. It’s just each state doing what its PTB decides to do.

6 Likes

I am really tired of hearing this unhelpful defeatist rhetoric; especially coming from people with more privilege, who have far less to lose if the shit does hit the fan.

So I’m gonna say it again;

You go right ahead: give up, lay down and wait to be walked upon, if that’s what you want to do.

As for me (and plenty of Others) I do not ‘go gentle.’

I rage and I fight, until our last.

11 Likes

Perhaps the more interesting bet would be how many of the liberals side with the five conservatives you mention. I think some, or even all, are likely to do so, because the due process problem danimagoo has been talking about is quite serious, one that should concern any who cares about the rule of law.

It’s been a while. I think I’ll post a couple of them today.

6 Likes

I’m not sure I understand how @AverageLiberalSlatie 's predictions about the Supreme Court are being read as giving up. I’m also not sure how crossing our fingers and hoping that SCOTUS does it’s job counts as “fighting,” nor how trying to drown out people giving realistic expectations of the court’s opinions counts as fighting.

On the contrary, I think that having realistic expectations about what the courts are going to do is reason to KEEP fighting, instead of sitting back and hoping someone else will decide for us.

The reason I keep giving money to Movement Voter Protect and candidates, and help in other ways I can, is because I don’t expect Alito and the others to do their job.

But I see this every time there’s some development in a case against Trump. Anyone who tries to temper expectations about what the result will be gets told that they are being defeatist and giving up.

Honestly, I think it’s just the opposite.

The day I need to bite my tongue and sit back and hope that the crazies on SCOTUS do the right thing, that’s the day I’ve given up.

2 Likes

Because they aren’t predictions. They are stating them as absolutes; as fait a completes. “This will happen” and “Future state assumed” aren’t stating guesses, they are assuming what will come to pass. That is beyond counterproductive; it actively demotivates people from fighting those outcomes.

8 Likes

Not nearly long enough, Doc.

I have really lost my patience with those who seem to think that a fair and equitable society is somehow no longer worth fighting for.

Oh?

So you missed this part?

That’s pessimism at best, stated as an absolute certainty; and it’s entirely useless to those of us who have no intention of letting the fascists win without one helluva fight.

5 Likes

Because he moaned “The end of democracy in America is nigh”, a definitive statement that the outcome is certain. There’s a difference between saying that and saying (to use my own statements):

or

[Cokes all around!]

7 Likes

7 Likes

No it doesn’t, it actively motivates people to keep fighting on other fronts, like at the ballot box. I keep fighting for the ballot box because I assume these attempts will fail. If they end up working, and Trump ends up in prison, then I’ll throw the biggest celebration imaginable, but I act as if it won’t happen, soon that I keep fighting.

At least that’s me. Maybe you’re right about other people. But I hope not. I hope no one says “well, if SCOTUS didn’t rule against him here then I’m not going to bother to vote.”

Ok, fair enough, I did miss that @Melizmatic .

But I think in general it should be ok to temper expectations about what will happen with his court cases, even if I wouldn’t go as far as that one.

2 Likes

You can only speak for yourself there.

Thanks for conceding that not everyone is like yourself.

Kudos, many people here often seem to forget that.

That’s completely reasonable; however, that is NOT what was happening in this thread.

Being cautious about celebrating a victory before the final outcome does not equate to throwing up one’s hands in defeat and claiming that we are fucked no matter what.

I can’t abide that defeatist bullshit, no matter who it comes from.

6 Likes

Historically it does for the vast majority of people, especially those who think they’ll be spared the worst of an “inevitable” change and go on with their lives. Fatalism leads to acceptance of the unacceptable.

Absolutely.

7 Likes

And even when there are setbacks, we can’t give up.
Captain Marvel GIF by Marvel Studios

4 Likes

I picked Captain Marvel (reviled as she is by the whiny manosphere asshats) quite intentionally to make my point; glad you groked it.

GET.

:clap:t4:

BACK.

UP.

6 Likes

I’m kind of a fan.

8 Likes

13 Likes

Don’t you mean /steaksandwich (no hamburders!)?

1 Like

The difficulty with the “He isn’t barred until he has been found guilty,” is that a criminal verdict requires proof beyond reasonable doubt. I and others have argued that a mere preponderence of evidence, as required in civil trials is the right standard to determine his eligibility.

That’s not how leadership communication works. Leaders state a vision of the future they want people to work towards, not stating absolutes that assume they’ve already lost, like the one you already noted or this one:

Or this one:

Or this one:

Or this one:

I may have missed a few.

4 Likes

I’m just gonna ask one more time;

WHAT are those winning Powerball numbers, since they can foresee the future so clearly?

4 Likes