Colorado is a land of private affluence and public squalor

The guy is not a dummy - The TABOR amendment he wrote is pretty much bulletproof and has survived many repeal attempts and supreme court challenges. In fact, the problem is he’s too smart - in an evil villain sort of way.

He’s a slumlord and tax evader but cloaks his personal interests in grand, philosophical ideals about “Freedom” and such. He’s about as close to a real-life John Galt as possible. A true libertarian who preaches “I’ve got mine - fuck you!”

10 Likes

Emperor Norton did so much less harm. Can’t we have him back? Or find his heirs and anoint them?

5 Likes

anyone who thinks that a hug is the same as a homosexual encounter hasn’t had enough of either of them in their life.

17 Likes

CSM is in Golden - no way in hell would I have spent 6 years in the Springs!

4 Likes

Christ, what a colossal asshole!

2 Likes

Planet Money did a decent piece on this in January.

5 Likes

Democracy - love it or leave it.

I thought that a real libertarian lawyer would go to a private, for-profit law school that rejected collectivist legal theories.

3 Likes

It seems that the USA is leaving it. :grimacing:

4 Likes

The high elevation results in lower oxygen content; thus the voters’ brains are oxygen-deprived.

1 Like

Was going to put that in but you beat me to it.

I think the California Proposition 13 has led to similar problems, where the taxes on property are limited and pretty much kept at the value of the late 70’s (as long as the ownership doesn’t change) but it turns out that even the ownership change issue was played by the LA golf courses which pay a pittance in property taxes (thanks to prop 13) with respect to the true value of the real estate. Obviously over 40 plus years many members have died off and been replaced by new ones but the golf course association argued in court that like the ship of the Argonauts if you replace pieces of it over time even though it is completely replaced at the end it is still the same ship.

3 Likes

Are you perhaps thinking of UCLA? USC is a private school.

1 Like

I knew USC wasn’t a UC; I thought it was a CSU. (You can kinda see how it might be confusing.)

1 Like

Having just visited relatives in Sacramento and walked the campus there having it all explained, it was fresh in my mind. Yes, confusing. It was very cute how proud they were of Ladybird being made about their humble city!

Well, I am confused now.

1 Like

Tabor hasn’t destroyed public funding. The unwillingness of the politician to bring up tax increases for a vote has destroyed public funding. Everyone is so afraid of being labelled as the politician that increased taxes, that our elected officials won’t deal with real issues that require funding.

Colorado’s mess gets more interesting when you take into account rules MikeKStar mentions - that require some spending in some areas, lack of built in flexibility. But mostly it is the will of the government here - they aren’t willing to address the troubles and instead grandstand and complain about how hard it is to do their job with these awefully complicated laws.

I would argue that the ease of placing amendments on the ballots has been a good thing - but our poor leadership has reacted with stupidity: instead of cleaning up the languages, straightening out the rules, they just keep coming up with poorly thoughout stopgap “fixes.” Cf The PERA troubles, and the widespread use of FEES instead of TAXES.

Throughout this all, though - Doug Brouce is a colossal asshole.

Several national far right evangelical organizations.

1 Like

And a giraffe focused zoo!

1 Like

So long as its not a homosexual encounter. Otherwise MLK wouldn’t approve.
Oh, wait, I meant Doug Bruce… I’m always getting those two mixed up.

2 Likes

In my head, I was thinking South Carolina, but the other USC made more sense when I actually clicked and read the page.

That said, I can’t at all imagine why they have the nickname “University of Spoiled Children.”