Colorado school district spends $12,000 on assault rifles for guards

Ummm, thanks for references that aren’t relevant to the discussion or article at hand.

To your first rebuke, we ARE talking about cops and security guards.

To the second, I’m not citing Kleck’s numbers, this seems like a straw man.

Since you took the time to post them, I read them. There looks like 1 unintentional shooting in those links, glovebox guy.

I’m not saying those were all justified shoots, but they were nearly all intentional.

Again, relevance.

1 Like

Having read the thread, the discussion seems to be about whether students are safer with or without SROs. Unintentional and unjustified shoots both figure into that discussion.

I don’t know what discussion you’re taking part in, where SROs intentionally shooting people they shouldn’t have shot is “irrelevant.” Yes, people are advocating for more training, but I don’t think they want these SROs trained more on how to use their new weapons, but rather on when to use their weapons, and when and how not to use their new weapons.

3 Likes

Now you are just weaselwording or reeling back from your previous statement by qualifying “plenty of shootings of students by these school cops” with either intentional or unintentional.

Does it make it any better when unarmed people are shot by security personnel on purpose than by accident?

1 Like

Cops and security guards counted for 2.4% of the total incidents. The overwhelming majority either were ended by the volition of the shooter or by unarmed people. In fact if one is to use your link then unarmed citizens are 3-4 times more likely to end such incidents than cops and security guards.

3 Likes

Based on your stats, unarmed non-LEOs are many more times more likely to stop a gunman than armed LEOs and armed non-LEOs put together. Is that what you were trying to prove?

2 Likes

Jinx!!

2 Likes

Priorities …

1 Like

So should I call you out for weasel linking when two of your links are for the same incident that takes place at a hotel and nowhere near a school? I was thinking about unintentional shootings, but I agree that if you give these school patrollers guns they will end up shooting people.

I’m not sure where you are pulling the 2.4% from. The FBI report summary is a bit oddly put together at the end; the numbers for officer or SRO involvement look quite a bit higher than 3%.

@chgoliz - I don’t think being unarmed makes them more likely to stop the gunman, just that there are far more unarmed non-LEO people present when there is an incident. I was just posting the article because I haven’t seen the summary before and it seems a lot more useful than the usual parsing of CDC cause of death data.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.