Colorado's investment in IUDs and other fire-and-forget birthcontrol produced a "miracle"

You just throw the weed into the tornadoes, who’s going to stop those for a check?

3 Likes

That might explain stormchasers.

9 Likes

As a Coloradan, I’m pleased with the progressive direction the state’s been taking over the past decade or two. I really hope more states follow our example, and that states’ rights can help reduce the damage in areas where the federal government fails us (which is to say, on literally every single issue).

Sadly, the success of plentiful birth control in Colorado won’t change the minds of any opponents- I’ve said it before but it bears repeating: it was never about saving babies or helping people avoid mistakes they’d regret later. It was ALWAYS about punishing women for being women, and only that. I hope that becomes more and more transparent to anyone still on the fence about these issues.

19 Likes

We;re going to need a bigger bong.

4 Likes

It’s things like this where I describe myself sometimes as radically progressive conservative. Improving quality of life for more than just the elite and saving taxpayer money? What isn’t there to like?

1 Like

Hi!

I haven’t looked at any of the replies to this question but I am just going to assume no one has given you an answer, seems a safe bet given you only have 7 replies so far.

“Fire and forget” is a military term that is being applied to the supply of IUDs in this instance to make everyone wince when they think about it.

14 Likes

Let’s not forget one of the most dramatic long term effects of good family planning policy: less criminality and juvenile delinquency in generations to come. Conservatives should love that.

3 Likes

I’ve never read File and Forget? What does that mean? It sounds like “Here is a bit of paperwork that you MUST do but we both know that nobody gives a damn about ever reading.”

2 Likes

I understand Rob Ford is a huge fan of fire and forget, should we start a thread about it?

7 Likes

Who would’ve thunk that giving people* control over their own lives could improve outcomes?!

(for values of “people” that include women)

7 Likes

Ironically many are enthusiastic fans of “paying for sluts to have sex” with them

6 Likes

I think that’s the same thing. Also known as “Write-Only Paperwork” or “TPS Reports.”

6 Likes

YES. She still needs to learn how and use condoms but IUDs are awesome. If you need to sell it to her mom, phrase it as less about sex and more about her comfort and health. The Mirena treats heavy periods, reducing or eliminating them. A woman’s period is a major source of iron loss, which for young women can be quite critical. For a lot of women, it reduces menstrual cramps. For women who have migraines right before their period, it can help with those too.

I have every intention of helping each of my nieces with an early birth control choice if their parents drop the ball.

Oh, and don’t forget about the HPV vaccine! For both boys and girls.

14 Likes

Ah, but then who would rot in our prisons as an example to the rest of us? Can’t have good without evil!/s

Military analogies can cause acronym confusion here. Although by their lack of concern for the unintended consequences of their policies conservatives do seem to prefer Improvised Uterine Devices…

For more seeming win-wins that end up on the chopping block for being insufficiently sex-punitive, see also HPV vaccines. God works in mysterious ways!

5 Likes

Blaze.

3 Likes

Why? Is he dead?

2 Likes

Say, that’s a nice skillet…

3 Likes

And usually when there’s someone in their life that requires an abortion, they’re suddenly pro-choice because theirs is a special case.

7 Likes

I totally agree. If we actually had the ability to quantify the value of initiatives like this (we don’t, no matter what economists tell you) the tax-dollar-savings aspect of it would probably be dwarfed by the impact this has on people’s lives.

At the same time, $5.85 saved over just three years for every $1 spent? That’s a mind-blowing ratio and I can understand why they’d highlight it. That’s the kind of savings that makes you look positively stupid for not doing it.

17 Likes

I work in the public sector, and yes, that is what happens.

1 Like