Come get a heaping helping of 90s nostalgia as wrestling legends Undertaker and Mankind reunite to watch their brutal and iconic Hell in a Cell match

Originally published at: Come get a heaping helping of 90s nostalgia as wrestling legends Undertaker and Mankind reunite to watch their brutal and iconic Hell in a Cell match | Boing Boing

When did Cactus Jack become Mankind, cause I grew up with him as Cactus Jack…

smackdown live sport GIF by WWE

Also… Mick Foley is an awesome, AWESOME human! Just an amazing person! Rick Steiner could learn a thing or two from Cactus Jack!

4 Likes

I hope there’s a u/shittymorph reference in there!

1 Like

Mick Foley shifted through several different identities depending on circumstances. He has Cactus Jack which was his “extreme” persona, Mankind which was his masochist person persona, and Dude Love which was his laid back hippie persona. At the 1998 Royal Rumble event he competed separately as all three.

The Hell in the Cell match featured here is legendary for its brutality and bumps.

The first time I ever saw him in a match it was during Clash of the Campions X and he took an awful bump on the concrete where I could literally hear his head cracking against the concrete. (In his epic non-ghostwritten(!) autobiography he noted that it wasn’t “that bad”).

Roger that! He’s always struck me as a genuinely good, kind, compassionate person. He’s also a huge wrestling nerd himself with a genuine appreciation and reverence for what he does. And a genuine appreciation for his fans.

5 Likes

Fucking epic! :smile::smile::smile: Exhausting, but epic.

It is a shame that WWE is so crap to its performers.

1 Like

All of pro wrestling is crap to its performers, sadly. They know they have a talent pool that is willing to take the abuse because you need to love it to want to be in it, but it has a real human cost.

WWE could set an example here by actually treating its talent well, but they just corporatize the abuse and worse yet trivialize it by turning it into a storyline. When Vince McMahon is on TV playing his “evil corporate executive persona”, it’s not an act.

My brother in law is into wrestling, and I bought Mick Foley’s autobiography for him. But I ended up reading a little over half of it myself, and it was a pretty interesting read!

At the time my wife and I had friends who were really into WWE, so we’d started watching a bit off and on. Not big fans, but we’d seen enough to recognize most of the wrestlers and knew how most of the storylines were going. This night the lead in show was interesting enough that we decided to spring for the pay-per-view for the first time.

And then Hell In a Cell happened.

Oh my goodness that was something. We were hooked. In the years since it aired it’s come out just how much real damage Mick took during the match, and that makes going back and watching it very uncomfortable. But in the moment it was the most amazing thing we’d ever seen.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.