Coming soon to Japan: a 60-ft walking Gundam robot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/29/coming-soon-to-japan-a-60-ft.html

2 Likes

A new dimension in an age old battle is added. Innnnnteresting…

4 Likes

Hmmm. This October huh? And walking?

1 Like

24 degrees of motion? Does this mean it will shuffle around like an old lady? Will we need a 30 foot tall walker for it?

6 Likes

Yes, but not to worry, the walker transforms into a space cannon.

5 Likes

It’s like someone said “Giant robots are awesome, lets build a real life one!”, and years later as the project is finished they go “The Square Cubed what?!?!”

7 Likes

The profile of the Statue of Unity screams “shlump”. Maybe that’s the thing that truly unites.

BTW: The Motherland Calls and Statue of Liberty statues — both being female figures – are the only ones shown holding objects that could be used for self-protection – a sword and a torch. I totally understand.

2 Likes

I almost see where you could have been going with that. Would November have nailed it? :sunglasses:

In pictures it is even worse. It’s a giant statue of a tired old man who looks like he doesn’t care anymore.

3 Likes

I think the phrase you’re looking for is “enlightened detachment” :wink:

3 Likes

Ha yeah that’d do it. Seriously though that sounds like a challenging project on the best of days

1 Like

meanwhile Article 9 is set to get changed in 2020image

neon-genesis-running

13 Likes

The Sahaquiel fight is probably tied for the best one along with the Ramiel fight (oh you shot me? Well I’m gonna go ahead and disintegrate the mountain you’re hiding behind with my big laser)

2 Likes

So much to love about that show… except for the original ending.

3 Likes

Universal ennui?

No need to spend time and money making it walk. Location, having it just teeter over at the right time, and the right target would do it. The imagery of that would also be funnier.

I’ve worked on parade floats that took longer to go from concept to reality. If I saw a mostly-complete mechanical support structure instead of a few colorful renderings and toy-sized models I might buy that timetable but as it is you can color me skeptical.

3 Likes

That is literally the plot of this:

(Well, one of the plots. There are several, some considerably more confusing than others.)

I used to think the same. But I rewatched the series with my eldest when it came to Netflix, warned her about the ending and … it bears a second viewing. In some ways it now feels more in keeping with the rest of the series than End of Evangelion. Still not convinced it was the right way to do it, but it’s better than I remember.

(Of course, the new Netflix dub is another matter.)

1 Like