Company that makes dog food from fungi gets $11 million in venture capital funding

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/31/company-that-makes-dog-food-fr.html

3 Likes

My favorite snack made from fungus…
5019503012019_T1

6 Likes

Soylent Blue is dogs.

4 Likes

So what’s the research behind this? Is there good evidence that the mushrooms have good nutritional value for canines?

6 Likes

Yeah, right - dogs are constantly clamoring for cinnamon or strawberry flavors.

2 Likes

Cinnamon’s a very common flavor in dog treats – often in sweet potato treats.

1 Like

Wonder what the target group analysis looks like.

1 Like

The question is: is this actually food suitable for dogs? The nutritional requirements for dogs don’t seem to be well understood, given that it’s only recently that they realized dogs, like cats, perhaps require some of the same meat-derived nutrients and won’t be healthy without them.

This seems like something I’d feel better about eating myself than giving to my dog…

Though dog treats are engineered to appeal to humans, not dogs, so that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Well, my dogs have always liked actual berries, though I suspect they’d be a lot less keen on “strawberry flavor” and they’d most likely prefer, in terms of treat flavors, “garbage,” “old sock” and “putrid meat.”

8 Likes

Any science to back this up?
And what exactly do you mean by „meat-derived nutrients“ ?

1 Like

Recent research suggests, tentatively, that dogs, in particular some breeds, develop heart problems when on a diet that’s heavy on plant proteins, suggesting that like cats, they require the complete proteins (etc) found in meat.

4 Likes

Fungi dog food is part of a secret initiative to turn all dogs into truffle hunters.

3 Likes

meanwhile my plan to turn dog food into fungi gets zero coverage. SAD!

2 Likes

You almost feel bad for the dog at some point. Grounding up food waste, drying it with an industrial conveyor belt system, and then dispensing it into bags isn’t bad enough?

1 Like

I’m actually sad we aren’t seeing as much footage of Trump acting like a moron pretending to drive firetrucks or going to factories observing lube being dispensed.

they probably just bought the lube on amazon

1 Like

God damn do I miss f’n Gawker. Wheres a crazy Venture Capitalist when you need one?

All the dogs I’ve owned have eaten anything you offered to them like food. Including pills, berries, mushrooms, bits of celery, banana, pretty much anything.

“If dad thinks it’s food I’m gonna eat it.”

I’m probably projecting, but the guy in the lube factory looks like he is busy pleading with [insert deity of choice] … “If I survive this, I’ll never yell at my kids again and be nice to my mother-in-law and remember my wife’s birthday and our anniversary and help with the dishes and …”

1 Like

I see the bag says made “with Koji”, not “from Koji”.

Fungi are Opisthokonts, meaning that they are close relatives of animals – far closer than they are to plants. So most of the same nutrients are found in both.