Company that pampers rich people at Burning Man won't give up

2 Likes

It’s called “Fourth of Juplaya”.

3 Likes

wow, I always figured those people wearing diapers at Burning Man did that to themselves.

7 Likes

I dunno. I think it is a masterstroke to gather a shocking number of pompous elitist hedonists in one place for a week. #notallburners, surely, but pretty much all pompous eltitist hedonists my age I have known have been there at this point.

2 Likes

…and it ain’t all that, either.

EDIT: there really IS two burns, but they happen concurrently. the one that everyone here is talking about is smaller and takes place on the last couple roads in the city. the other one is the same as it’s always been, and takes place everywhere else.

3 Likes

They’re just being countercultural!

[quote]Air Carrier Services (who manage passenger and freight flights into the festival's airstrip)[/quote]I would not have expected the festival to have its own airstrip at all. It seems to be out of keeping with the various principles (which generally seem to be associated with discomfort and inconvenience in general). Do attendees regularly fly in, or is it just for supplies and emergency services or something?

A number of the participants fly themselves in to the event. They also offer rides to lucky attendees.

My coworker, who built his own plane, took one look at the pilot’s guide to the airport and said “No way!” Steve Fossett crashed his plane in the mountains somewhere near there.

9 Likes

Steve Fossett crashed on his way out of Yerington, NV which is near Lake Tahoe and he crashed in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, which is quite a bit south of Mono Lake.

My brother has an old Cessna 170 and has flow a couple of friends up to BM, though never stuck around.

2 Likes

Sort of but not the way you are thinking. There are people at the 80 acre ranch year around. It is several miles up the road from where you would normally leave the road to enter the event. At the ranch are a mix of full time employees and volunteers. The days are filled with hard physical labor and you guessed it the nights are for blowing off some steam, in the desert, sometimes with explosives and party favors. Then about a month before the event, the earliest folks start to work at the event site doing fun things like driving a fuckton of fence posts, putting up main camp, etc. Again, it is hard work in the desert with no shade initially but for those that can get shit done, the evenings can be fun. Warning to those that think they will volunteer early and then just party - you will get booted very fast. Partying is for the people that worked hard all day.

I volunteered at the ranch twice and then during the event three or four times. Volunteering really opens up another side of BM. One filled with makers who for the most part are the exact opposite of the bro’s that many have refereed to above. These men and women build and create for the love of it. They are doers not talkers. It was incredibly inspiring and humbling to work with the folks behind the scenes.

So back to your question, there is a secrete BM party. The price of admissions isn’t being rich or connected or pretty, it’s about being someone who can get stuff done and that has the time to go out and volunteer for a weekend, a week, a month,… or whatever.

15 Likes

Your scene’s values of radical inclusion and self-reliance are economically irrational. The free market will correct this irrationality and bring your deviant subculture into harmony with the global economic order.

No, don’t bother complaining. This is inevitable: the full realization of capitalist freedom. The only alternative is the abolition of the economic order, and you can’t begin to imagine that - not even in your wildest burns.

11 Likes

Didn’t this happen ten years ago?

(I’ve been to Burning Man three times, first in 2001.)

1 Like

22 Likes

I know, that’s clearly not the middle of nowhere right? There’s a sign! And a paved road! It might as well be the center of civilization.

1 Like

This sounds a lot like the difference between attending a convention as a member and being on staff. I’ve done a lot of both and while I enjoy each for different reasons, I much prefer being on the working side, even if it means I don’t get to see as much of the event in action. Seeing something like that come together is it’s own kind of reward.

8 Likes

You got it. Same thing. There are those that like to show up early and get involved and then there are those that show up late and think they are the star of the night. To each there own but I prefer to get involved. In fact a couple of times I have started to get involved with an event and then realized there was no way I was going to get where I wanted to be, involvement-wise, and then that was it for me. Done.

3 Likes

Were you wearing Pampers like the rich people in this article?

6 Likes

Use your imagination.

burners.me is becoming as much fun to read as boingboing.

Yeah, I’ve worked on or hosted a bunch of festivals and events, and it’s a completely different experience being on the inside.

A couple years ago, I decided to go to one for the first time in maybe 5 or 8 years of vending/performing/organizing. I felt very out of place not having a radio or a vending booth to anchor me.

7 Likes

I gave that a quick read and it seems steeped in drama - but based on the information (as presented @ burners.me re: BMOrg v Burn BC) how BMOrg is anything but a greedy capitalist behemoth, and just WTF - if anything - BMOrg has to do with the ten principles of burning man?

/disˈklām/ 
I don't care one way or the other.
4 Likes