Company that pampers rich people at Burning Man won't give up

Five-minute penalty for unnecessary apostrophe.

3 Likes

I’m still waiting for the day when we have, “Budweiser Presents: Burning Man 20xx”. Mark my words, it’s going to happen one day!

4 Likes

Heathen…

You think that’s bad? I don’t understand these idiots burning tons of wood in the desert for fun when global warming has become such an obvious problem.

2 Likes

First World Anarchists - Won’t let the (Burning) Man tell them what to do.

Christ, what late stage capitalist assholism.

3 Likes

This is all I imagine when somebody in this thread mentions a “BM party” or going to “BM.”

8 Likes

4 Likes

What radical measures are you taking to lower your carbon footprint?

Because I’m willing to bet that you don’t actually give a fuck about carbon footprints except when there’s an opportunity to criticize someone else’s.

11 Likes

Everyone I know who goes to Burning Man regularly is either solidly middle-class, or poor but enthusiastic college students who save up for it all year. It’s not actually that expensive; cheaper than, say, a road trip to Comic-Con, if you factor in the cost of the hotel room you’d need at the con. (You can of course spend thousands on an outfit/art car/camper/whatever for Burning Man if you really want, but you can also spend thousands on cosplay and the dealer’s room at Comic-Con.)

But I guess somebody on the internet said that only rich people go to Burning Man, and clearly Burning Man’s failure to actually ban everyone above the middle-class line from the premises means that they’re personally responsible for any rich people who choose to show up.

6 Likes

Wait, the Burning Man organization is using intellectual property rights to get rid of groups they don’t like? And Doctorow is just fine with that?!

5 Likes

I was thinking, “There’s a sign. Its probably more like the middle of somewhere and somewhere else…”

1 Like

How many microseconds of volcanic activity or forest fire does it equal?

And fire is one of the few nice things. Why shouldn’t we have nice things?

5 Likes

‘I don’t know anyone rich who goes to Burning Man’ is a terrible yardstick. I do! There are ‘poor’ people who go to Burning Man. There are middle class people who go to Burning Man. There are rich dudes who go there inconspicuously. And then there are also rich dudes who drag all their toys there, some of them who’ve been doing it regularly since they got rich in the late 1990s dot bomb snafu.

I guess you could argue about rich. The people I know are ‘just’ millionaires, which is hardly rich by Bay Area standards any more. But the billionaires go there too. They have their own little cities within cities like Caravancircle - if you want to be depressed, just read http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-05/occupy-burning-man-class-warfare-comes-to-desert-festival

The guys discussed in Cory’s post might even be considered poor trash by this standard. But anyhow, they’d fit right in.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

3 Likes

Some nice music.

1 Like

Ah, the old tu quoque fallacy. It seems that I’ve hit a nerve. Well, I’ve stopped burning crap unnecessarily. I also take public transportation every day and ride a bike even when it’s freezing, even though Uber would be so much more convenient and hip. I’ve insulated my house and I’m even insulating the office instead of cranking up the heat.

Burning some big wood effigy is idiotic no matter what I’m doing.

1 Like

Well, OK, everybody should have nice things, so who cares about the environment?

This “environment uber alles” and those greener-than-thou ones who push it are making me understand the “rolling coal”.

Face it. Fire is pretty. Is life worth living if we do not have pretty things? What’s the purpose of environment when there’s nothing left to enjoy?

So you decided to suffer. Your choice and you’re free to make it. You are even free to feel superior because of it. But, why should others suffer too?

1 Like

Working Man fucking rocks - 2015 was my first year at a staff camp (Ranger Outpost Berlin) and it really shows a different side of the playa. We’re all workaholics, we get our ass kicked by the desert and our responsibilities. And the do-ocracy is real - once you’ve shown you can do a thing, the responsibilities come fast, offloaded from people who are overworked as it is.

I’ve found that I can’t not work at conventions - I keep looking for the same camaraderie, and generally find it, among the staff at a sci-fi convention, I’m pretty much only going to cons I can volunteer at from now on :slightly_smiling:

5 Likes

He’s never had a problem with appropriate use of trademark protection, AFAIK.

2 Likes