Company that pampers rich people at Burning Man won't give up

Does actual personal experience confuse most people who have never been to Burning Man? :wink:

Because that would fit with the sort of attitude Iā€™m used to encountering whenever I hear BM come up in conversation.

What i do know is that I used to hold an annual camping trip for dozens of people, and the burners drove the abnormals away. Drove the normals away too. Drove the organizer away eventually.

I mean, personally, for myself only, I havenā€™t met every member of the John Birch Society (for example), but I long ago decided it was okay to not take them at all seriously when they talk about themselves and their noble movement, becuse that talk and selfish behavior have the strangest correlation.

YMMV. Of course.

1 Like

But if they had a campout, you wouldnā€™t opine about what was done there or give your opinion about the merits of it, would you?

There is a middle ground here. People love to critisize Burning Man for being all about ā€œrich peopleā€ or ā€œtechbrosā€ or ā€œBay Areaā€ or ā€œdrugsā€ or ā€œsex nā€™ drugs,ā€ etc. but most of those criticisms come from people that really donā€™t know anything about the event except a few photos and a piece in a national magazine or a few blogs. Thatā€™s what makes me twitchy and Iā€™ll confess to it.

That isnā€™t making Burning Man out to be a utopia and I havenā€™t been again in over five years so who knows what the huge numbers are doing to it now?

1 Like

Youā€™re wrong.

1 Like

ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

1 Like

I donā€™t follow.

Iā€™m not criticizing BM. As I said, I think the idea of them all getting together is fantastic. Wish it ran 365 days a year, in the Nevada desert

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand why you think that second group is exclusively rich people. ā€œThese people are partying in weird outfits, therefore they must be richā€? Have you heard of, say, Mardi Gras?

I used to work at a gas station where one of my coworkers went to Hawaii for a week every two years. Heā€™d save up his $7.50/hour, and get people to cover his shifts in advance, and everything was cool. Same applied to an awful lot of broke college students I knewā€“they might live on ramen the rest of the year, but by God theyā€™d put enough aside to hit Myrtle Beach every spring break.

Step it up to middle class, and itā€™s even easier; most any low-end office worker can accumulate a week of leave in a year, and $1000 or so to spend on it, without special effort.

So where are you getting this notion that the concept of vacation is alien to all but the filthy rich?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m saying. Iā€™m saying that ā€œOnly rich people go to Burning Manā€ is demonstrably false. 80% of every thread about Burning Man is people who think that ā€œI heard that only rich scumbags go to Burning Manā€ is a great yardstick, and itā€™s frustrating. If youā€™re not one of those, good for you, but youā€™re in the minority.

2 Likes

See, I like this better because itā€™s honest: weird hippies are having a big bonfire and itā€™s weird and you donā€™t like it. Youā€™re entitled to your opinion! Just donā€™t pretend that your personal aesthetic preferences are based on some highfalutin moral code.

4 Likes

To be fair though, in America, vacation is a bit of foreign concept to most people.

ā€œMore than half of Americans, 56%, have not taken a vacation in the last yearā€
Why is America so afraid to take a vacation? | US work & careers | The Guardian

So it could be thats where a lot of this is coming from?
Also, I went to BM in 1996 on my honeymoon. Back then it was all tiny theme camps and everyone camped on their own in in wee groups. The big theme co-op camps they have now seem weird to me. I am not sure Iā€™d like it. Can you camp far away from the event still? Like way back off the grid? Iā€™d like that.

3 Likes

I can fess up to that. Mostly cause I just never think about scheduling the time off and well most of the time it would be just sitting around at home playing video games or something. Vacations cost money. I should try do better as I have to use my 4 weeks in the same calendar year now.
It would be nice to be able to do like the my coworker when I started as a sysadmin. He would save up 2 years worth and then be gone for 2 months.

2 Likes

Last year I took a staycation because my SO couldnā€™t take the whole 3 weeks off, so we did 10 days at a friends cottage and I spent the rest of the time lazing about my back yard reading and doing nothing. It. Was. Glorious. - I recommend!

Seriously man, take the time! You earned it!
Hell Iā€™d take more time off unpaid if they let me, but they donā€™t. Bah.

6 Likes

Iā€™m a big fan of long weekends, most of my vacation time is used for single fridays or mondays. Kind of a substitute for reducing my working hours to 80 % for a few weeks or months every year.

5 Likes

Yeah the last round of use up your vacation time so our books look good we were not allowed to do that.
I had been more or less doing that before when we could keep a years worth banked before it quit adding up. I would get close to the max and take a 3 or 4 day weekend or if there was a holiday pad that out even more and still have a bank for something.

1 Like

I will say that accumulating time off at 1.5 hrs a week is an enormous pile of shite compared to 26 days a year.

Itā€™s going to take decades to reach that max amount.

3 Likes

this sucks. Iā€™m lucky that my employer (and line manager) is very relaxed in this regard - I only have to negotiate vacations with the project(s) member(s) and everythingā€™s fine.

I can understand that people find BM appealing, but it just hits all of my ā€œI wouldnā€™t want to do thisā€ buttons. Like, every single one. Itā€™s in the middle of the desert in summer (I donā€™t deal well with heat), it involves a large group of strange people (Iā€™m not good at starting conversations, especially with strangers, and I really, really, really donā€™t like people touching me), it sounds loud, and dusty, and it sounds like they expect everyone who comes to contribute something, and I have no idea whatsoever what I would contribute.

This is all from Coryā€™s descriptions in Homeland and The Man Who Sold the Moon, which all were from characters enjoying themselves, which should have painted Burning Man in a flattering light, but really didnā€™t.

Finally - and forgive me if Iā€™m wrong, but this is the impression that I get - it all seems like a big crock of ā€œFor a weekend, become who you are underneath all of your layers of self-control,ā€ which I reject for two reasons:

1. I believe that I am all of my layers of self-control. I am the voice that decides. Sometimes, that voice decides not to override the desires coming from below, instead of enforcing its will, but thatā€™s still a decision. Also, since the brain is not set in stone, we become what we do, so the more I exercise my will to become a better person, the more the layers underneath that will align to the whole ā€œbetter personā€ thing.

2. I donā€™t like the stuff underneath all of the levels of self-control. That guy is a chocolate-obsessed, lazy, paranoid, dumb, panicky animal which reacts to social (and especially any potentially romantic) situations as if I were being stalked by a lion on the savannah. Iā€™m exercising my will and changing that person gradually, but I certainly donā€™t want to let him out and give myself excuses to fall back into old habits for a weekend. This is one of many reasons that I donā€™t drink.

So, yeah. If other people enjoy it, then power to them for finding something that suits them, but I canā€™t see myself ever, given one lifetime or a dozen, making my way to Burning Man.

8 Likes

Yeah. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever criticized BM, because Iā€™ve never been, but from what Iā€™ve read (from positive reports), it falls into the same category as Disneyworld as things I wouldnā€™t go to for free even if I lived next door.

But if people like it, awesome for them! I know people who would love it, just not for me.

2 Likes

Poor college student on a federally protected reserve thousands of miles from the nearest war is actually quite rich relative to any disposessed refugee.

Just donā€™t call burners poor. It sound entitled. Like most burners who-are-totally-not-a-cultists do to my ears. As they ā€˜vacationā€™ from something 99+% of em are fully part of 51 weeks a year.

1 Like

'Perhaps it seemed to me that I had several more lives to live, and could not spare any more time for that one. ā€™
ā€“ Thoreau, Walden

4 Likes