Company will mail glitter to "people you hate"

That makes sense, thank you for the clarification. I’m just a little sensitive to people who use terms like “harassment” super lightly.

This would seem to be a slightly more permanent version of a “Your parking sucks” note under the windshield wiper of a 4x4 occupying 3 parking spaces. Everyone knows that glitter is the herpes of the crafting world, difficult as anything to completely eradicate.

3 Likes

Completely understandable. That’s how I’m like too.

1 Like

By the pound? Fuuuuck.I’ve owned that much hard drugs before,but never a pound of glitter. That’s, well, a lot

3 Likes

we’ll send them so much glitter in an envelope that they’ll be finding that shit everywhere for weeks. We’ll also include a note telling the person exactly why they’re receiving this terrible gift. Hint: the glitter will be mixed in with the note thus increasing maximum spillage.

It does not strike me that someone would read the site in question and think “ha ha, I will send this to my friends who will love this funny joke”. It seems quite explicitly targeted towards the spreading of misery.

ETA: People weren’t exactly glitter bombing public figures they liked, were they?

1 Like

Maybe spreading, maybe returning it back to the original sender.

That said, I’d have quite some use for some glitter… Mix it to transparent paint for tamper-evident seals, try if its reflective properties are good enough for hardening against a laser weapon, if really fine use it as a tracker for fluid flow…

There are worse things than glitter. The superfine aluminium powder, paint-grade, so fine it hovers in the air, is quite more difficult to get rid of. On the other hand, the individual particles are too small to be visible, so they won’t be blinking at you from the carpet, the houseplant, and the cat two years later.

It’s rather context specific, isn’t it. If the glitter package is part of a good humoured exchange between friends who know each other well, that’s cool. But given that the site itself is suggesting that you send the package to “people you hate”, then it seems the intention isn’t entirely joking. If it arrives with or after other unpleasant communication or threats, then it would give a nasty fright (not to mention the cleaning chore) even if the sender didn’t intend it nastily. And forgive me for being humourless about it, but experience of being a target makes the mindset easy to recall. How do you know, before you send it to someone “you hate” what their mental state is like at the time?

I believe that there is another source for such shit…

4 Likes

But I love glitter.

Given that the intent to cause damage is obvious, under Austrian law I’d just send them the bill for having my house cleaned professionally.

General prejudice says that in America, they’d be sued and have to pay $100,000 in punitive damages on top of the cleaning costs. But apparently, prejudice is wrong again…

D’oh! You forgot your address, silly.

3 Likes

I’m just glad I’m not the only one who finds that stuff pure evil.

It hides. It knows how you feel when you find it weeks later. It feeds on that hatred, and grows ever stronger.

1 Like

@Jorpho, @zathras

Don’t take things so damn seriously. Especially when it’s about GLITTER.

Glitter doesn’t cause damage. Just clean it up with a wet towel. Lint rollers work well, too! So do dryer sheets.

The website is being hyperbolic and exaggerating for humorous effect. I hope you guys don’t watch the Colbert Report and take him seriously lol

2 Likes

[quote=“marilove, post:35, topic:50389”]Glitter doesn’t cause damage. Just clean it up with a wet towel. Lint rollers work well, too! So do dryer sheets.[/quote]Have you tried this yourself lately? Were you successful in cleaning up all the glitter? Were there no lingering reminders afterwards of that time you tried to work with glitter? How do you think you would feel if they were lingering reminders of that time someone sent you something in the mail to express how much they hated you?

Shall we start naming other things that “don’t cause damage” because you can “just clean them up” ?

[quote]Don’t take things so damn seriously.[/quote]There are many, many occasions in which that is very much the wrong thing to say. I do not think this magically becomes different because glitter is involved.

Or do you think those political protesters didn’t want to be taken “damn seriously”?

If we replace the specific of glitter with “stuff I didn’t order arriving in the post in a context of threats and other harassment” does that make it clearer for you? Individual acts of harassment are often minor and trivial, it’s just that the significance of each event builds on the one before …

Try this before sending:

1. Would I be happy if my target did this to me?
  2. Would I be mortified and apologetic if I found out that what I sent wasn’t received with laughter or gratitude?
  3. Would I not send this if asked, without making any preconditions before ceasing?

If you can answer ‘Yes’ to all of them, then you’re having fun with a friend. Go for it.

If you answer ‘No’ to any of them, then you’re probably trying to make someone unhappy. Please don’t, harassment isn’t nice.

Would you send me glitter?

Yeah…she’s really into making her own Mardi Gras costumes and hers are always encrusted with glitter. And she always over-buys, thus the envelopes full of it.

Wet towels are a big no-no on my 19th century wood floor. And the lint roller wont get into the gaps. Guess I’ll have to use my vacuum cleaner before it spreads :wink:

But more importantly:

If a friend causes minor damage in order to have a laugh, I laugh with him.

If someone causes minor damage because they hate me, I might send them a bill. Or I might figure out why they hate me and just clean up the mess myself.

If someone causes minor damage because they make profit off somebody else’s hate for me, I’ll definitely send them a bill. I’ll just have a cleaning professional clean up all the glitter for me. I’m sure they’ll be done in under an hour, so that’ll be 14 EUR or about 20 Australian dollars. That’s not too much to ask.

I can forgive minor injuries from my fellow human beings, but if a company officially tries to profit from deliberately causing malicious damage (however minor), there are laws to stop them.

Here in Argentina, a 7 years old child died after he accidentally inhaled glitter. He suffered a two weeks agony.

Murió Mauro, el nene que había aspirado purpurina

Wow, your must concern trolley some very volatile people for that to be your go-to assumption.

it’s FUN!

1 Like